Monday, May 07, 2007

Surf lesson

Yeah, I did it. I paid for it.

Ridiculous, to pay someone $100 to watch me surf. But I don't have anyone willing to do it for free and it was actually helpful.

What he told me was that, as I suspected, my timing was all off. I am catching the waves too late. I'd be going and he'd yell at me, Don't go, too late! And I did and it was.

So I tried it his way, just waiting, starting to paddle later though all my instincts told me to go. His way I saved a lot of paddling energy and got waves just by doing nothing but paddling four or five strokes.

When I got waves that way, it was different from what I've done myself, yeah, even when I got the waves earlier by myself. It's hard to describe, but I was on top of the wave. I didn't go down the face. I didn't take off on top and then sense, quite rightly, that there was going to be a drop down and then wait for it. I was just---how shall I say this---on top of the wave the whole time.

If that's how it's supposed to be, I've only done it the right way maybe six times in all these years.

I don't know, though. I thought you were supposed to wait for, and feel, a drop down the wave before you stand up. He says no. He says just stand up the minute you get the wave.

I did this once and got a long ride. That was the only one I got.

He also told me not to angle the board on takeoff like everyone else says to do so I don't go straight. He told me to go straight.

Cripes, maybe this guy does know what he's doing, but at this rate it will cost something like a thousand dollars to get me surfing.

I still really hate it when people tell me to stop thinking so much. What kind of person doesn't think, ever?

Oh yeah, that must be why stoners are such good surfers.

4 Comments:

At Tuesday, May 15, 2007 6:39:00 AM, Blogger Beach Bum said...

I just thought I'd let you know that you are the second person ever I've heard use the word "cripes". This has earned you much praise here.

 
At Thursday, June 14, 2007 7:46:00 AM, Blogger EDM said...

I do not think they mean do not think at all, I think they mean to relax more and just do what feels natural. At this point you know what you need to do, just do it and stop thinking about it so much.
I know when I started doing that, it made a world of differnce for me. Hope it does for you too.

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:03:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

birkin bag, north face jackets, instyler, canada goose uk, chi flat iron, canada goose, abercrombie and fitch, bottega veneta, nike roshe run, ugg boots, marc jacobs, ugg australia, insanity workout, mcm handbags, ferragamo shoes, nike huarache, canada goose, canada goose, new balance shoes, rolex watches, north face outlet, lululemon outlet, babyliss pro, mac cosmetics, p90x, ugg pas cher, soccer jerseys, wedding dresses, moncler, beats by dre, hollister, canada goose jackets, ghd, ugg boots, vans shoes, reebok outlet, mont blanc, valentino shoes, jimmy choo outlet, herve leger, soccer shoes, giuseppe zanotti, nfl jerseys, asics running shoes, ugg, moncler outlet, moncler, moncler, celine handbags, uggs outlet, canada goose outlet, longchamp

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:17:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

parajumpers, pandora charms, moncler, vans, ugg, karen millen, ray ban, louboutin, hollister clothing store, pandora charms, thomas sabo, hollister, converse, montre homme, swarovski crystal, air max, coach outlet store online, wedding dresses, ralph lauren, canada goose, swarovski, lancel, converse shoes, oakley, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, louis vuitton, baseball bats, juicy couture outlet, gucci, pandora jewelry, iphone 6 cases, hollister, timberland boots, supra shoes, links of london, ugg, moncler, air max, rolex watches, canada goose, moncler

 

Post a Comment

<< Home