Saturday, April 21, 2007

2 for 2

I tried to put W.'s advice---mostly, to move forward on the board---to work today. I thought I was going to do well. But no. Time after time, when I caught a wave, my nose went under and I was flung off the board. That tells me I need to be farther back, from what I understand. I was doing exactly what W. told me, but it wasn't working. I'd get in position as best I could, paddle, watch my nose go under and next thing I knew I had been knocked off the board, somersaulted once or twice and was in the water with my board upside down and floating behind me.

Something else could cause that too, with or without being too far forward, which is catching the wave too late.

I did get one ride before the first hour was up, but I have no idea how I did it.

The funniest thing about today was that E. was out surfing by herself next to me and, because she didn't recognize me with my new board, was actually friendly! With the surf burka on, and not a hair showing, she thought I was someone else. Well, boards are the way we mostly recognize each other without more cues. She smiled and gave me some encouragement and advice. I just nodded, stunned that she was actually speaking in complete sentences to me and more than one at that---usually I can't even drag a syllable out of her mouth when I say hi. That is, when she knows it's me.

It gave me an idea of what it would be like out here if I was just me, and not this horrible person created by K. in everyone's mind. Prejudice is such a stupid thing. What else can make someone who doesn't even know you hate you? This just shows what an idiot E. is.

I thought of saying something snotty to her, like "Why are you talking to me now?" but didn't. I think that later on she recognized me by my crap surfing style. (Hers isn't so great either.)

The thing is, her advice was also not so hot. She told me to stand up immediately, exactly the opposite of what W. told me yesterday: wait until you've paddled down the face, then stand up. I think he's right and she's wrong. I have tried standing up immediately and it just can't work. I did notice, though, that she was doing it and it worked for her. Can it be that with surfing, like sex, there's not one way to do it? Then what to believe, what to do?

Once I started getting back farther on the board than W. said, and also paddling for waves earlier, I did manage some good takeoffs. And I got one more long ride---though why I went right instead of left or straight, I have no clue.

That's two rides in two hours, better than par for me.

I really do need a lesson, though. I know what to work on: playing around with wave timing, maybe doing things wrong on purpose to see what happens when I take off way too late (maybe there's a way to make it not such a disaster) or too early, trying to find out how much play and forgiveness, if any, there is between the two. Eventually I'll just humbly go to the surf instructor I first approached three and a half years ago, and explain: There have been times between then and now when I did know how to surf. There have been times when I didn't. Right now is a time when I don't. So teach me like I'm beginning all over again, and maybe I will get it back.

4 Comments:

At Monday, August 24, 2009 6:46:00 PM, Anonymous surfchick88 said...

Don't know if you ever check old posts for comments but absolutely W. is wrong. You do not paddle down the face of the wave and then stand up. Do that and your board will go nose first to the bottom of the ocean. Bad idea. Get up immediately once you have caught the wave.

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 4:53:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

longchamp handbags, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton handbags, tiffany and co, burberry outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, tory burch outlet, true religion jeans, prada handbags, nike shoes, christian louboutin shoes, kate spade outlet, coach factory outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, louboutin, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, nike free, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses cheap, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, kate spade handbags, coach purses, coach outlet store online, oakley sunglasses, coach outlet, chanel handbags, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, jordan shoes, polo ralph lauren outlet, louboutin, longchamp handbags, air max, burberry outlet, louboutin outlet, air max, gucci outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:03:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

birkin bag, north face jackets, instyler, canada goose uk, chi flat iron, canada goose, abercrombie and fitch, bottega veneta, nike roshe run, ugg boots, marc jacobs, ugg australia, insanity workout, mcm handbags, ferragamo shoes, nike huarache, canada goose, canada goose, new balance shoes, rolex watches, north face outlet, lululemon outlet, babyliss pro, mac cosmetics, p90x, ugg pas cher, soccer jerseys, wedding dresses, moncler, beats by dre, hollister, canada goose jackets, ghd, ugg boots, vans shoes, reebok outlet, mont blanc, valentino shoes, jimmy choo outlet, herve leger, soccer shoes, giuseppe zanotti, nfl jerseys, asics running shoes, ugg, moncler outlet, moncler, moncler, celine handbags, uggs outlet, canada goose outlet, longchamp

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:17:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

parajumpers, pandora charms, moncler, vans, ugg, karen millen, ray ban, louboutin, hollister clothing store, pandora charms, thomas sabo, hollister, converse, montre homme, swarovski crystal, air max, coach outlet store online, wedding dresses, ralph lauren, canada goose, swarovski, lancel, converse shoes, oakley, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, louis vuitton, baseball bats, juicy couture outlet, gucci, pandora jewelry, iphone 6 cases, hollister, timberland boots, supra shoes, links of london, ugg, moncler, air max, rolex watches, canada goose, moncler

 

Post a Comment

<< Home