Thursday, April 19, 2007

New board day

The new board has been christened.

For the first hour and fifty-eight minutes, all I could tell was that the board paddles well and feels right. There were long waits between waves and I didn't catch many. On our first wave, the board and I parted company instantaneously. On another, I pearled. I did stand up on one wave and it didn't feel like I was using my knees but honestly, I have no way of knowing. And as soon as I stood I fell. On another, I felt as if I had the popup right but had to pull back because the guy next to me was on the same wave.

I got smacked around quite a bit, once on a wave I should have turtled but didn't. I was underwater noticeably longer than I'm comfortable with.

None of this, you might imagine, was any fun at all. There have been times I've had days like this and considered them fun, because it was warm and sunny; but not on a grey and cold day in April.

I tried to remember that this "surfing" is supposed to be fun. Well, if it's not fun at least it's supposed to be contributing to the learning process so that one day in the future will be fun. But I've rethought the whole "learning" surfing thing. There is no such thing. Sometimes you accidentally get it right. You try to give yourself the best chance to accidentally get it right. But it is nothing like the cumulative, empowering, confidence-building process we call learning.

Think about it. The people I know, who surf well, never learned. They tell stories like, "I went my first day in eight foot waves, not knowing what I was doing, and I just got a wave and surfed it." The same thing, to some extent, happened in surf camp. There was no instruction, there was no learning. The people who got it, got it in a day or so with no help other than being pushed on waves.

As I was getting colder waiting for waves, I realized that a new board is not going to be enough to get me out of this surf slump I'm in. I don't know what is. I had just about decided to call the guy in Long Beach (not the best surf instructor in the world, but not the worst either) and pay him $100 to watch me from the beach and tell me what I'm doing. I didn't know what else to try. I'd just start from scratch, an absolute beginner.

Then, just as I was getting too cold to stay out any longer, I got a wave and a ride. For no reason at all, by sheer accident, I was able to stay up long enough to remember to do three things: put my arms out to balance, lean forward, and bend my knees. It worked. It was my one ride of the day after two hours, and then I went in.

5 Comments:

At Monday, February 01, 2010 9:01:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

From the moment the first Mercedes-Benz CLS four-door "coupe" was introduced to the public, other German luxury automakers hit the drafting board. According to the German auto experts at AutoBild, Audi is just over a year away from unleashing its own cleverly packaged sedan.
carwadontester981

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 4:54:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

longchamp handbags, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton handbags, tiffany and co, burberry outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, tory burch outlet, true religion jeans, prada handbags, nike shoes, christian louboutin shoes, kate spade outlet, coach factory outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, louboutin, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, nike free, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses cheap, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, kate spade handbags, coach purses, coach outlet store online, oakley sunglasses, coach outlet, chanel handbags, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, jordan shoes, polo ralph lauren outlet, louboutin, longchamp handbags, air max, burberry outlet, louboutin outlet, air max, gucci outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:03:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

birkin bag, north face jackets, instyler, canada goose uk, chi flat iron, canada goose, abercrombie and fitch, bottega veneta, nike roshe run, ugg boots, marc jacobs, ugg australia, insanity workout, mcm handbags, ferragamo shoes, nike huarache, canada goose, canada goose, new balance shoes, rolex watches, north face outlet, lululemon outlet, babyliss pro, mac cosmetics, p90x, ugg pas cher, soccer jerseys, wedding dresses, moncler, beats by dre, hollister, canada goose jackets, ghd, ugg boots, vans shoes, reebok outlet, mont blanc, valentino shoes, jimmy choo outlet, herve leger, soccer shoes, giuseppe zanotti, nfl jerseys, asics running shoes, ugg, moncler outlet, moncler, moncler, celine handbags, uggs outlet, canada goose outlet, longchamp

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:17:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

parajumpers, pandora charms, moncler, vans, ugg, karen millen, ray ban, louboutin, hollister clothing store, pandora charms, thomas sabo, hollister, converse, montre homme, swarovski crystal, air max, coach outlet store online, wedding dresses, ralph lauren, canada goose, swarovski, lancel, converse shoes, oakley, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, louis vuitton, baseball bats, juicy couture outlet, gucci, pandora jewelry, iphone 6 cases, hollister, timberland boots, supra shoes, links of london, ugg, moncler, air max, rolex watches, canada goose, moncler

 
At Friday, July 26, 2019 11:02:00 AM, Blogger yanmaneee said...

golden goose sneakers
jordan shoes
retro jordans
nhl jerseys
nike air max
jordan shoes
nike air max 270
hermes belt
nike x off white
supreme hoodie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home