Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Surf moratorium

The waves were decent early, but by the time I got out had turned to slop and the other people had gone in. Well, I don't know that it makes that much difference, the way I'm surfing now. So I went in anyway.

Of late I know very few things, but one of them is that in order to surf, you have to stay on your board. I am willing to go back as many steps as I have to to get out of this surf slump, so I thought I would just work on staying on my board on these one foot waves.

It didn't work. I still got knocked off. And when I didn't, my nose still went under.

OK, I told myself, play around, see if you can find out what works.

I had an idea. Rather than looking at my nose as I'm taking off or trying to, as usual, what would happen if I didn't, if I kept my head up? It seems logical. When you ski, or skateboard, or do any other sport, you don't look at your feet, do you? And keeping your head up is another way of saying arch your back, which I remember being told to do.

So I tried keeping my eyes and head up, rather than looking down at the nose to see if it was going under.

I can't say that it made things any better but it didn't make them any worse.

I am just guessing, and chances are more than 50-50 I'm guessing wrong. I don't really know if the head up thing is right, or if I'm on the right spot on my board, or where that right spot would be, or what to do to find it.

I don't know anything, so what the hell am I doing? I think I should really call a surf moratorium until and unless I get some expert advice. Otherwise, I'm just wasting time. It just seems pointless, especially given how much work I have to do and the deadline I'm trying to meet (do you realize how much work there is to do after you've finished a book? I didn't, until now). I mean, it's not like I have nothing else to do but flail around and inhale seawater.

Anyone who's reading this, weigh in with your advice on the head up thing, etc. Your advice is as good or better than anyone's. Truth to tell, I don't really think there is anyone in this town who thinks enough about surfing to give me the advice I need. All they do is yell at you to stand up. I need someone who's going to go into great detail about what I'm doing and what I need to do. I doubt that the two $100 an hour guys I know of can do this. Nevertheless I'm pretty much out of other things to try. I guess that's the next thing I'll do.

6 Comments:

At Friday, April 27, 2007 5:47:00 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

1) I don't know for sure, but I have a suspicion that you don't paddle hard enough when you go for waves. Girl, sometimes you have to paddle so hard that it's a relief to stand up and take a break. See, if you're paddling too little and you're too far forward, you'll pearl. If you're paddling too little and you're too far back, the wave will pass right by you. But if you paddle hard enough, you can either keep the board from pearling by getting yourself up to the speed of the wave (a lot of times) or you can chase down a wave that's trying to pass you by. Remember, paddle like you mean it.
2) You can look at your nose while you take off. That's what beginners do. I did it until someone told me I was good enough to start looking down the line. It took me awhile to stop looking at the nose of the board. I caught waves even when I was looking at the nose. I just didn't get good rides because I wasn't seeing where I wanted to go. Looking down the line will come in time.
3) You need to pay attention to what's making you fall off. Are your knees bent? It's easier to stay on if your knees are bent. Are you in the wrong spot on the board? Pay attention to that. You need to be making adjustments throughout your sessions. If a wave is mushy and slow, you have have to paddle further forward on the board in order to help it drop in. If a wave is faster, you want to slide back a little to keep from pearling. You don't really know the good spot until you're in the water assessing the waves.
4) Attitude is everything. Stop with the negativity already. Decide that you're going to do (fill in the blank) each session. I started out saying I would catch just one wave. Then it was two. As I got better, my goals changed. Now, I work on things like finding trim for as long as humanly possible, cross stepping, and being more aggressive. I don't go in thinking I suck (even though I often do). Not every session will be a good one or a successful one, but I set the goals nonetheless.

 
At Sunday, April 29, 2007 2:07:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

great suggestions surfsister. SO MUCH of surfing is mental! and if you have a negative attitude it all goes downhill from there. i went through a bit of a surf slump for a few months, stuck in negative thinking and surfing really badly. then i decided i would just go out and "have fun." huge improvement. huge.

also board position makes a big difference. for example i have this one mini-log that's super picky about where i am on the board for take-off. too far back, i can't get in, too far up and i pearl. plus it changes for the conditions so i'm always adjusting position based on the wave type.

seriously though, it does not matter whether you suck or not. it's about whether you enjoy what you're doing.

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 4:44:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

longchamp handbags, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton handbags, tiffany and co, burberry outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, tory burch outlet, true religion jeans, prada handbags, nike shoes, christian louboutin shoes, kate spade outlet, coach factory outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, louboutin, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, nike free, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses cheap, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, kate spade handbags, coach purses, coach outlet store online, oakley sunglasses, coach outlet, chanel handbags, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, jordan shoes, polo ralph lauren outlet, louboutin, longchamp handbags, air max, burberry outlet, louboutin outlet, air max, gucci outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 4:44:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

longchamp handbags, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton handbags, tiffany and co, burberry outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, tory burch outlet, true religion jeans, prada handbags, nike shoes, christian louboutin shoes, kate spade outlet, coach factory outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, louboutin, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, nike free, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses cheap, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, kate spade handbags, coach purses, coach outlet store online, oakley sunglasses, coach outlet, chanel handbags, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, jordan shoes, polo ralph lauren outlet, louboutin, longchamp handbags, air max, burberry outlet, louboutin outlet, air max, gucci outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:03:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

birkin bag, north face jackets, instyler, canada goose uk, chi flat iron, canada goose, abercrombie and fitch, bottega veneta, nike roshe run, ugg boots, marc jacobs, ugg australia, insanity workout, mcm handbags, ferragamo shoes, nike huarache, canada goose, canada goose, new balance shoes, rolex watches, north face outlet, lululemon outlet, babyliss pro, mac cosmetics, p90x, ugg pas cher, soccer jerseys, wedding dresses, moncler, beats by dre, hollister, canada goose jackets, ghd, ugg boots, vans shoes, reebok outlet, mont blanc, valentino shoes, jimmy choo outlet, herve leger, soccer shoes, giuseppe zanotti, nfl jerseys, asics running shoes, ugg, moncler outlet, moncler, moncler, celine handbags, uggs outlet, canada goose outlet, longchamp

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:17:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

parajumpers, pandora charms, moncler, vans, ugg, karen millen, ray ban, louboutin, hollister clothing store, pandora charms, thomas sabo, hollister, converse, montre homme, swarovski crystal, air max, coach outlet store online, wedding dresses, ralph lauren, canada goose, swarovski, lancel, converse shoes, oakley, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, louis vuitton, baseball bats, juicy couture outlet, gucci, pandora jewelry, iphone 6 cases, hollister, timberland boots, supra shoes, links of london, ugg, moncler, air max, rolex watches, canada goose, moncler

 

Post a Comment

<< Home