Monday, July 24, 2006

Satisfaction

What is the best movie ever made? I know that is a subjective call, but unless you said Stanley Kubrick's "Barry Lyndon", you are wrong.

It is my summertime ritual to bring my TV set outside and watch this 1970s three-hour masterpiece on my terrace. It's set in the 1700s, when being a "gentleman" was taken very seriously. When one gentleman was wronged by another, or "dissed" as we would say now, he had the right, nay the obligation, to demand "satisfaction" in the form of a pistol duel in which one party would end up dead or mortally wounded.

Such was the importance of protecting one's honor.

While duels are no longer allowed, human beings continue to need and demand satisfaction when wronged or dissed. I mention this only because the need for satisfaction (or what today's shrinks might call "closure") has been behind my recent pissed off posts. Last night I finally had the opportunity to wrest some extent of "satisfaction" from C. And while I stopped short of shooting him or slapping his face (as numerous people have suggested I do) I got what I needed.

Why did I not give C. a satisfying slap, why do I not tell certain others to go to hell? In short, the answer is: community. I've always laughed when I heard that word used to refer to any group of people in New York City, where you don't know your next door neighbor's name. For instance, a "community board" here is a group of people who come together only to fight and yell at each other.

But the people who surf regularly at this beach are a true community. We are going to see each other day in and day out, even year after year. We are going to see each other in the water and on the beach and at the grocery store and in each other's backyards. We can't avoid each other, and open unresolved conflict would only create bad karma and awkwardness. For better or worse, I think we have to try to work things out. (Of course, this may only reflect the fact that I think like a woman; it's a stereotype but true that women in general strive to preserve connection at all costs.)

Oh yeah...the surfing today? The waves were small, and I felt confident, so I decided to take out an unfamiliar board. It is a little longer and has less rocker than mine. It was way easier to paddle, but I couldn't figure out where to place myself on it. I did finally manage to take off successfully but couldn't get up. I also had some not very good wipeouts. I could maybe learn that board, but it would take a few more attempts. I think I'll just stick with mine because I know it and have been doing well on it lately. Still, I'm glad I had the confidence to take out a different board, and would like to do it again.

3 Comments:

At Monday, November 10, 2014 4:42:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

longchamp handbags, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton handbags, tiffany and co, burberry outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, tory burch outlet, true religion jeans, prada handbags, nike shoes, christian louboutin shoes, kate spade outlet, coach factory outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, louboutin, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, nike free, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses cheap, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, kate spade handbags, coach purses, coach outlet store online, oakley sunglasses, coach outlet, chanel handbags, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, jordan shoes, polo ralph lauren outlet, louboutin, longchamp handbags, air max, burberry outlet, louboutin outlet, air max, gucci outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:00:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

birkin bag, north face jackets, instyler, canada goose uk, chi flat iron, canada goose, abercrombie and fitch, bottega veneta, nike roshe run, ugg boots, marc jacobs, ugg australia, insanity workout, mcm handbags, ferragamo shoes, nike huarache, canada goose, canada goose, new balance shoes, rolex watches, north face outlet, lululemon outlet, babyliss pro, mac cosmetics, p90x, ugg pas cher, soccer jerseys, wedding dresses, moncler, beats by dre, hollister, canada goose jackets, ghd, ugg boots, vans shoes, reebok outlet, mont blanc, valentino shoes, jimmy choo outlet, herve leger, soccer shoes, giuseppe zanotti, nfl jerseys, asics running shoes, ugg, moncler outlet, moncler, moncler, celine handbags, uggs outlet, canada goose outlet, longchamp

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:14:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

parajumpers, pandora charms, moncler, vans, ugg, karen millen, ray ban, louboutin, hollister clothing store, pandora charms, thomas sabo, hollister, converse, montre homme, swarovski crystal, air max, coach outlet store online, wedding dresses, ralph lauren, canada goose, swarovski, lancel, converse shoes, oakley, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, louis vuitton, baseball bats, juicy couture outlet, gucci, pandora jewelry, iphone 6 cases, hollister, timberland boots, supra shoes, links of london, ugg, moncler, air max, rolex watches, canada goose, moncler

 

Post a Comment

<< Home