Monday, July 10, 2006

More than riding the waves

A while back I was about ready to quit, but now that I'm into my fourth year, I think I'm going to stick around a while. Yeah, I still can only barely and occasionally ride a wave. Yeah, I still feel like a fake. Yeah, "surfing" without riding waves is a lot like having sex without orgasms: extremely frustrating and depressing. But looked at more holistically, surfing really is a whole culture, and it's that culture I have come to love, even though I often feel confused and out of place. It's time to admit that this is what I would miss if I quit, more than my "surfing".

Some of what I identify as the culture may be unique to our particular community. I don't know because I haven't ever been part of any other surf community. I love ours because it really is like a small town in the middle of NYC. I love our crowded grungy beach and boardwalk and it's both exhilirating and exhausting the way it often feels like a big stage where endless soap operas play out. I love the people, even the ones I don't like. I love the aloha spirit in which near total strangers offer you a greeting or a burger in their backyard (a spirit marred only by a few bitches and jerks). I love hanging out with the same general group of people, wet and dry, morning noon and middle of the night.

If I quit, most of all, I would miss the people. And it's not just because I would have few friends left. It's because (and here I go wearing my participant observer sociologist hat, er, hood) surf culture is one of the few bastions of real time face to face personal interaction in an increasingly fragmented and disconnected world.

OK, I am sure a bona fide sociologist would have a better way of saying this. What I mean is, most people (at least in NYC) are so busy and stressed that we rarely have time to do anything that doesn't involve making money or other necessities of survival. Before I started trying to surf, I could go months and even years without ever seeing the people I considered my best friends. All our contact took place over the phone or the internet. There were (and still are) people I consider good friends, whom I've "known" for years, who I've never even met. It seems like I've met them because we've talked and corresponded and shared so much, but I don't even know what they look like! It doesn't even seem to matter that we've never met, but it does, you know?

My best friends in the world, indeed virtually all of my friends,live in other states, and though we talk and email we see each other once a year or less. But even with those who live in the same city, it's just too difficult trying to coordinate our schedules so that we can sit down in the same room.

Human beings were meant to look each other in the eye, even occasionally to touch each other. But purposeful face to face contact is increasingly rare and perhaps becoming extinct. It's becoming limited to those people you have no choice but to look at (such as co workers) and those you have to live with (your family).

Surfing (or even "surfing") by definition puts you in face to face, live action, real time contact with other human beings---whether it's forging friendships or dropping in and cursing them out. And even when we don't know each other's names, that feels more real than the disembodied contacts we have in the rest of our lives.

5 Comments:

At Tuesday, July 11, 2006 3:43:00 PM, Blogger jchack said...

Food for thought:

1 year of dedicated surfing should yeild a solid novice surfer. You have been at this for 4 years and have yet to master the most basic technique.

If you decide to continue surfing then surf, otherwise you'll be on the outside of the culture because you cannot share in the most fundamental surf experience, riding waves.

My advice; no more surf lessons! Watch other surfers (movies are key!), practice your pop up (10 times every night before sleepy time), get a longboard skateboard and ride it, and surf every day that you possibly can. Or quit and take up knitting (not being sexist, I am also a knitter and it's really relaxing and has it's own culture and community).

 
At Wednesday, July 12, 2006 3:39:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK I'm gonna drop in here...keep surfing!!
You are to be commended for taking up a new sport in middle age and sticking it out in all year in a cold climate.

You haven't had four years worth of waves yet.
Note the performance gap in the east coast vs the hawaiian groms during the recent NSSA finals.

FYI I am older than you, babe, and learned when I was older than you are now. I don't get many style points but I appreciate every ride.

You're stoked, you've got aloha, and that's way more important than wave count.

C'ya in the water, if you ever surf the west coast.

Aloha from a fellow SCOF ( surfer chick over-in my case-50)

 
At Thursday, July 13, 2006 5:52:00 PM, Blogger dgm said...

i don't know whether you have a regular surf buddy, but i recommend one over more surf lessons, hands down. i used to surf alone but never really was motivated to get better, and i didn't enjoy it nearly as much until my friend hooked me up with a surf buddy who was at my level and also wanted to improve. initially i was skeptical that it would work out because i tend to be a loner, but she and i hit it off great. we can watch and learn from each other, and we make solid dates to get out there. jeffery is right--you need to get out in the water as much as possible and watch surf videos and waves. it seems like at this point, you are beyond lessons.

i agree with you, however, about the aloha spirit. we're in a small surf town in socal and the surf culture and community (which is dominant here b/c the town turns out a lot of pros) is such a great change from the hectic world of city life.

my two cents.

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:14:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

birkin bag, north face jackets, instyler, canada goose uk, chi flat iron, canada goose, abercrombie and fitch, bottega veneta, nike roshe run, ugg boots, marc jacobs, ugg australia, insanity workout, mcm handbags, ferragamo shoes, nike huarache, canada goose, canada goose, new balance shoes, rolex watches, north face outlet, lululemon outlet, babyliss pro, mac cosmetics, p90x, ugg pas cher, soccer jerseys, wedding dresses, moncler, beats by dre, hollister, canada goose jackets, ghd, ugg boots, vans shoes, reebok outlet, mont blanc, valentino shoes, jimmy choo outlet, herve leger, soccer shoes, giuseppe zanotti, nfl jerseys, asics running shoes, ugg, moncler outlet, moncler, moncler, celine handbags, uggs outlet, canada goose outlet, longchamp

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:15:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

parajumpers, pandora charms, moncler, vans, ugg, karen millen, ray ban, louboutin, hollister clothing store, pandora charms, thomas sabo, hollister, converse, montre homme, swarovski crystal, air max, coach outlet store online, wedding dresses, ralph lauren, canada goose, swarovski, lancel, converse shoes, oakley, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, louis vuitton, baseball bats, juicy couture outlet, gucci, pandora jewelry, iphone 6 cases, hollister, timberland boots, supra shoes, links of london, ugg, moncler, air max, rolex watches, canada goose, moncler

 

Post a Comment

<< Home