Saturday, July 08, 2006

Waist high

Waves were bigger today than they have been most of the summer, waist to occasional chest (though as usual Surfline had its head up its butt undercalling it). I remembered M.'s advice to me that "you gotta go out in bigger waves". So I did, even though there were tons of people out, and it wasn't a problem at all. I don't blow my takeoffs so much anymore which is, of course, the main cause of wipeouts. I didn't do as well as I did yesterday in the small waves, though. I took off OK but had a hard time trying to stand up, as usual, and only got one ride. That's actually pretty good for me, but after yesterday, I thought I was about to do better. I am reminded once again that progress, if that's what it is, is nonlinear.

Later I hung out on the beach all day, at the central hangout spot, and it was fun. People were friendly and I felt really comfortable. Though the waves got better during the day and everyone was having fun, I didn't push myself to go back in. Glad I saved some energy cause it turned out there was another rockin' party to go to later! Like I said, every weekend's the Fourth of July around here.