Friday, July 14, 2006

Crappy waves, crappy surfers

Summer Fridays seem to be shaping up like this: bad waves, bad surfers. Today was virtually a rerun of last Friday. I saw the same people out: the guy who looks like Jesus Christ, the young shaggy haired guy, the two Asian shortboarders (is there such a thing as an Asian longboarder? Is that a racist comment?), the Asian girl on the Blue board. I said hi to a couple of them; maybe I'll get to know them better and we'll be the Friday afternoon crew.

The other people out were children or bodyboarders. (No offense to bodyboarders.) None of the good surfers, none of those I've dignified here with initials, surf the crap waves. Why should they? When the waves are bad, the bad surfers come out. But I kinda like being out on days like this: once again I get the chance to be the best surfer in the water. I actually had a good time on crappy sectiony waves, which probably means I'm getting more relaxed and learning to have fun again. And I got my wave of the day, on which I was able to stand and ride for about four seconds---long enough to think, Hmmm, once I'm up what do I have to do to stay up? I got the feeling I could've prolonged the ride if I'd known what to do with my weight, where to shift it, or if I'd bent my knees more. I also got a second, shorter ride. Not bad for me!

In a way the injury I had to my left knee at the end of May was a good thing. It's not fully healed, it still is swollen and painful despite physical therapy, so it really lets me know when I'm using my left knee to get up! It's impossible to remain unaware, as I did before, of what I'm doing. The good part is, if the knee doesn't hurt, it means I must not have used it to get up.

4 Comments:

At Saturday, July 15, 2006 10:52:00 AM, Blogger dgm said...

i wish our summer fridays were like that! instead, they are jam-packed with all types, made worse by all the surf camps. (i love that kids are learning, it just makes for more people out there.)

even if the waves aren't really goin' off, there will always be a crew of die-hards who go out, surf a few, come back for a beer and to soak up sun and play the ukelele and talk story. then out they go again for the next session. they are there from sun-up to sundown and all through the weekends.

don't get me wrong; it's a great little community. i just wish it wasn't so crowded during the summer.

 
At Saturday, July 15, 2006 8:22:00 PM, Blogger dave rich said...

hey!!! i just got back from mexico on tuesday, and i missed reading your blog. maybe this will sound incredibly stupid but i actually did wonder if you ever quit while i was there. i was actually looking forward to returning and reading your blog and see your progress. im glad you havent quit! mexico humbled me in ways i havent been in the water. it really showed me how much i truely suck at surfing. maybe it was the cali and mexican guys i was surfing with or maybe it was the few POUNDING waves at some other places i visited. something changed inside of me. something for the better. im now like you again, on a mission. :) good to be back, and im glad you have decided to keep up surfing. remember, its more than a sport and its something greater than a lifestyle. its just what it is, surfing.

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 4:49:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

longchamp handbags, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton handbags, tiffany and co, burberry outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, tory burch outlet, true religion jeans, prada handbags, nike shoes, christian louboutin shoes, kate spade outlet, coach factory outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, louboutin, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, nike free, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses cheap, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, kate spade handbags, coach purses, coach outlet store online, oakley sunglasses, coach outlet, chanel handbags, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, jordan shoes, polo ralph lauren outlet, louboutin, longchamp handbags, air max, burberry outlet, louboutin outlet, air max, gucci outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:14:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

parajumpers, pandora charms, moncler, vans, ugg, karen millen, ray ban, louboutin, hollister clothing store, pandora charms, thomas sabo, hollister, converse, montre homme, swarovski crystal, air max, coach outlet store online, wedding dresses, ralph lauren, canada goose, swarovski, lancel, converse shoes, oakley, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, louis vuitton, baseball bats, juicy couture outlet, gucci, pandora jewelry, iphone 6 cases, hollister, timberland boots, supra shoes, links of london, ugg, moncler, air max, rolex watches, canada goose, moncler

 

Post a Comment

<< Home