Friday, December 15, 2006

How can you tell who's a local?

Yesterday we got the first real waves we've had in weeks. Not big, only a foot or two, but enough to bring other people out that morning. I've gotten so used to being the only one out. I've also gotten used to surfing right in front of my house, literally; it never used to break well there but lately it has been, so I have had the luxury of not having to walk down to the jetty (a two minute walk).

But just as I was stretching on the beach in preparation to getting out to "my" spot another guy went straight for it and got on it before I did. Such was my sense of entitlement that I went out there anyway. We were close enough to strike up a conversation, and he did. I could tell as soon as he opened his mouth that he was not a local---that sexy Australian accent! But even without the accent, I would have known by the friendly conversation we had---where'd you grow up, why did you start surfing---a conversation I have yet to have with locals I have seen in the water year after year.

And I would have known by the way he was so encouraging, even offering helpful advice (after asking if I wanted it). Wow, if I had more of that, I might actually get somewhere! He'd seen me pearl and wanted me to know that there might be a way to save myself from wiping out if that happened, simply by pushing my body back on the board with my hands once I realized my nose was going under.

Even when I got a ride where I couldn't let go of the rails until the wave was almost over, he was so complimentary, telling me I was up when, really, I wasn't, or only marginally. And eventually I got up and got a ride where I didn't fall off and really went somewhere, which was great fun. (But he didn't see it.)

My takeoffs were, to paraphrase Barbra Streisand, like buttah. (You younguns won't get that reference, never mind.) Smooth, sweet, perfect. I couldn't even believe how good they were. Effortless. That wasn't the problem (well, except for one or two pearls), it was the standing up. But still I managed it a couple of times.

I was so encouraged I stayed out beyond the limits of my suit, even longer than the shaggy haired Australian, who waved goodbye as he was leaving.

What a contrast today was. I put the 5/3 back on, knowing it's the last day I'll wear it this season and that next time I must don the dreaded hood. Today it really was breaking better at the jetty than at "my" spot, but there were five people surfing down there already and I didn't feel like being with people, and even though I couldn't tell who they were I had a hard time imagining they'd be friendly. One person on a blue board was getting nice rides.

So I went to my spot and tried hard, but I was not getting the buttah takeoffs. Close, but no buttah. When I figured I was about halfway cold I decided to try down by the other people to see if I'd do any better.

Turned out the person on the blue board was K., my former friend now trying her best to drive me out of the neighborhood. She made the cold water more icy by pretending I didn't exist. The others were her boyfriend and people I didn't know, but who at least smiled at me as if I existed. It was better down there and on one wave I managed to struggle to my feet at the end, proving that I can sometimes balance on a board for more than two seconds. That was the best I could do before hypothermia set in.

The reality is that we spend at least five months here in the thickest suits, the 6 mils. The other suits only get a month or two wear out of the year. I'm putting away my 5/3 and it won't see water again until May.

9 Comments:

At Sunday, December 17, 2006 4:09:00 AM, Blogger Bill Graber said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Sunday, December 17, 2006 4:12:00 AM, Blogger Bill Graber said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Sunday, December 17, 2006 4:14:00 AM, Blogger Bill Graber said...

Isn’t it great when a day comes together like that? You got some great water time, met a charming guy who give you first-rate surfing instructions, but did not make you feel like an inferior twit while he was passing them on to you and it all made for a good surfing story blog too. I find my best surfing days have come when I was surfing right here in front of the house.
Now one question, did you get that cute Aussies number girl? He sounds like someone you should surf with more.

 
At Sunday, December 17, 2006 4:16:00 AM, Blogger Bill Graber said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Sunday, December 17, 2006 4:20:00 AM, Blogger Bill Graber said...

sorry for the double post... I think there is a problem with the comments on blogger this morning

 
At Sunday, December 17, 2006 4:27:00 AM, Blogger Bill Graber said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 4:52:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

longchamp handbags, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton handbags, tiffany and co, burberry outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, tory burch outlet, true religion jeans, prada handbags, nike shoes, christian louboutin shoes, kate spade outlet, coach factory outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, louboutin, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, nike free, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses cheap, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, kate spade handbags, coach purses, coach outlet store online, oakley sunglasses, coach outlet, chanel handbags, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, jordan shoes, polo ralph lauren outlet, louboutin, longchamp handbags, air max, burberry outlet, louboutin outlet, air max, gucci outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:02:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

birkin bag, north face jackets, instyler, canada goose uk, chi flat iron, canada goose, abercrombie and fitch, bottega veneta, nike roshe run, ugg boots, marc jacobs, ugg australia, insanity workout, mcm handbags, ferragamo shoes, nike huarache, canada goose, canada goose, new balance shoes, rolex watches, north face outlet, lululemon outlet, babyliss pro, mac cosmetics, p90x, ugg pas cher, soccer jerseys, wedding dresses, moncler, beats by dre, hollister, canada goose jackets, ghd, ugg boots, vans shoes, reebok outlet, mont blanc, valentino shoes, jimmy choo outlet, herve leger, soccer shoes, giuseppe zanotti, nfl jerseys, asics running shoes, ugg, moncler outlet, moncler, moncler, celine handbags, uggs outlet, canada goose outlet, longchamp

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:16:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

parajumpers, pandora charms, moncler, vans, ugg, karen millen, ray ban, louboutin, hollister clothing store, pandora charms, thomas sabo, hollister, converse, montre homme, swarovski crystal, air max, coach outlet store online, wedding dresses, ralph lauren, canada goose, swarovski, lancel, converse shoes, oakley, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, louis vuitton, baseball bats, juicy couture outlet, gucci, pandora jewelry, iphone 6 cases, hollister, timberland boots, supra shoes, links of london, ugg, moncler, air max, rolex watches, canada goose, moncler

 

Post a Comment

<< Home