Sunday, November 19, 2006

Just clicking

And then sometimes, for no reason, it just clicks.

I wouldn't have thought it would be today. I woke up tired but dragged my butt out of bed early because I thought I was going to meet up with W. (who ended up sleeping in, the slacker). I had a headache and my muscles ached. I would not have put any money on it being a good day.

But the waves were the perfect size and shape for me, the water was beautiful, peace reigned among a sizeable crowd, and I just got it about how to position myself on the board.

So I caught most of the waves I went for with no problem, but it was still a problem getting up. I'd stay up for a few seconds, then fall. Unfortunately, with the crowd my wave count was small. Even trying to be super careful about not getting in anyone's way I alienated Q., a regular surfer who seems to go back and forth between liking me and not being able to stand me. I understand why he finds me annoying. I really do.

I should never, ever go for a wave within one mile of Q. He makes every wave he goes for. On the other hand, I kept pulling back from other people who I knew were not even going to make it---and they didn't. In that circumstance I think I should have gone, but I didn't dare risk it. It was so frustrating---I kept pulling back for one woman, an unfamiliar face, on a purple board, and she kept blowing the waves.

That plus getting cold meant I got out earlier than I would have liked, which I guess is a good way to get out after all---when you're still having fun.

2 Comments:

At Friday, December 01, 2006 6:46:00 PM, Blogger Ice said...

"...which I guess is a good way to get out after all---when you're still having fun."

Agreed/sotrue. :) Had a surfin' buddy tell me several years ago to never think/say, "This is going to be my last wave" before wanting to take the last wave in. Something about having to do with throwing the timing of nature and the enjoyment of (your) surfing off. Seems when I remember it before saying it, the exit from water to land is that much more natural. ;) You seem to be doing naturally fine Grandma. Keep up the excellent surfing work!

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:16:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

parajumpers, pandora charms, moncler, vans, ugg, karen millen, ray ban, louboutin, hollister clothing store, pandora charms, thomas sabo, hollister, converse, montre homme, swarovski crystal, air max, coach outlet store online, wedding dresses, ralph lauren, canada goose, swarovski, lancel, converse shoes, oakley, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, louis vuitton, baseball bats, juicy couture outlet, gucci, pandora jewelry, iphone 6 cases, hollister, timberland boots, supra shoes, links of london, ugg, moncler, air max, rolex watches, canada goose, moncler

 

Post a Comment

<< Home