Thursday, November 02, 2006

Tiny waves at last

Yesterday was the first time I've been surfing in over two weeks. It was unseasonably warm, almost 70 degrees and sunny, certainly the last summery day; and I was so determined to get out that anything over six inches would have been enough to get me in the water. That's about what it was---tiny wavelets. But they were surfable. Of course after being out of the water so long I sucked; that always happens. And who was out on the beach to see my mortifying performance on the baby waves? C., of course. Always. But this time, instead of ignoring me, he was actually trying to be helpful. It's so rare that I get any feedback on my surfing I'll take whatever I can get. And it did help.

Today was not quite so warm but turned out sunnier in the afternoon; a jewel of a day. I was supposed to go out with W., C.'s friend, in the morning; but he checked Surfline and saw it said conditions were flat, plus it was cloudy and rainy, so he bailed. Ha! Silly Surfline, always wrong. What you couldn't see on that site---but you could from my window---was a tiny, infrequent, well shaped little wave, and one determined soul in the water, getting nice little knee high rides.

I waited for low tide and the sun. I was the only one in the water. At first I wasn't even sure the less-than-one-foot waves were rideable; but they were. I ended up getting lots of rides, catching the waves perfectly and riding them all the way in, even turning I think (though I would need someone watching me to tell me if I was or not, and there was no one else there except one fisherman on the jetty, miming his support from beyond earshot, drinking beer and catching no fish).

It was just a perfectly lovely time, my favorite type of session: alone with the sun and the sky and the different colors of the water and my thoughts.

Everyone always says it's bad to ride the little one-foot-or-less wavelets, it's not real surfing and spoils you for the real waves. At least I think that's why they tell me it's bad. It's probably true that the skills you need for surfing the wavelets have little in common with what you need for what anyone would call real waves. For instance, I find myself learning forward more while catching the wavelets in a way that would probably lead to pearling and be no good on a three-foot wave. But at least I don't have to worry about pearling! On the other hand, maybe that's exactly what I need to be doing on the bigger waves, only on the bigger waves I'm too scared of pearling to do it.

It's certainly true that there's much less margin for error when the waves get bigger. Mistakes that won't trip you up on these waves will on the bigger ones---on these you won't even realize you're making them. So in that sense maybe it's bad. Plus you get lulled by the ease of "getting out" (a joke in these conditions) and then are not on your game when it's not so easy. Maybe. Anyone here have an opinion why I shouldn't surf the little wavelets? I had such a nice time today. Wasn't it really surfing?

4 Comments:

At Thursday, November 09, 2006 10:58:00 PM, Blogger Bill Graber said...

Great Blog... going to put you on my fas list

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 4:52:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

longchamp handbags, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton handbags, tiffany and co, burberry outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, tory burch outlet, true religion jeans, prada handbags, nike shoes, christian louboutin shoes, kate spade outlet, coach factory outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, louboutin, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, nike free, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses cheap, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, kate spade handbags, coach purses, coach outlet store online, oakley sunglasses, coach outlet, chanel handbags, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, jordan shoes, polo ralph lauren outlet, louboutin, longchamp handbags, air max, burberry outlet, louboutin outlet, air max, gucci outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:02:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

birkin bag, north face jackets, instyler, canada goose uk, chi flat iron, canada goose, abercrombie and fitch, bottega veneta, nike roshe run, ugg boots, marc jacobs, ugg australia, insanity workout, mcm handbags, ferragamo shoes, nike huarache, canada goose, canada goose, new balance shoes, rolex watches, north face outlet, lululemon outlet, babyliss pro, mac cosmetics, p90x, ugg pas cher, soccer jerseys, wedding dresses, moncler, beats by dre, hollister, canada goose jackets, ghd, ugg boots, vans shoes, reebok outlet, mont blanc, valentino shoes, jimmy choo outlet, herve leger, soccer shoes, giuseppe zanotti, nfl jerseys, asics running shoes, ugg, moncler outlet, moncler, moncler, celine handbags, uggs outlet, canada goose outlet, longchamp

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:16:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

parajumpers, pandora charms, moncler, vans, ugg, karen millen, ray ban, louboutin, hollister clothing store, pandora charms, thomas sabo, hollister, converse, montre homme, swarovski crystal, air max, coach outlet store online, wedding dresses, ralph lauren, canada goose, swarovski, lancel, converse shoes, oakley, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, louis vuitton, baseball bats, juicy couture outlet, gucci, pandora jewelry, iphone 6 cases, hollister, timberland boots, supra shoes, links of london, ugg, moncler, air max, rolex watches, canada goose, moncler

 

Post a Comment

<< Home