Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Still alive

Yesterday I got into some trouble surfing the main peak. It wasn't terribly crowded, but crowded enough that there was competition. After huddling down the line in the retard section all weekend, I decided to paddle out at the best spot after M., a really good female surfer I'm friendly with (T.'s wife). Lots of times I watch what she's doing to help me improve. We'd just had a nice chat on the beach. Well into the session I ran into her board. We were both on the same wave. I actually did not see her take off, but we caught the wave at exactly the same time and ended up speeding on the wave rail to rail. She was standing up, I didn't dare try it. Instead I tried to get out of her way, but it was impossible; the force of the wave kept our boards in lockstep til we reached the sand.

Of course she and her husband were mightily pissed and she screamed at me: "Drop in on me again and I'll kill you!" Ouch!

I skulked out of the water and off the beach, not wanting my face to be seen, imagining everyone was talking about what an idiot I am. Because I am. I don't deserve to be on the beach on one of the last sunny days of summer.

I skulked back around five p.m. and they were both still there and not mad. Whew.

The thing is, today, on less crowded waves, I was on the same wave as another guy (and I ABSOLUTELY had the right of way on this one, if anyone was dropping in it was him) and when I saw him near me, was able to get out of his way. I actually turned the board the way I wanted to! I am working on that and it doesn't always work. But I am really proud of myself for doing it today when it counted. Why not yesterday? I dunno.

I remember reading somewhere (perhaps here) someone saying: "If you can't get a controlled ride on a longboard after two years, it's time to give up trying to surf." It's three years and I surely can't do it consistently, but I am learning.

3 Comments:

At Thursday, October 12, 2006 10:04:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I disagree with the notion that one should give up surfing after struggling 2 years to ride a longboard. What this means is that the person doesn't have natural apptitude for surfing. After reading about your struggles, I think you fall in this category. Does this mean you should automatically give up? No, not if you are having fun and enjoying surfing. You probably aren't ever going to be a really good surfer, but everyone has bad days and if becoming a really good surfer is not your goal, keep on.

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:01:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

birkin bag, north face jackets, instyler, canada goose uk, chi flat iron, canada goose, abercrombie and fitch, bottega veneta, nike roshe run, ugg boots, marc jacobs, ugg australia, insanity workout, mcm handbags, ferragamo shoes, nike huarache, canada goose, canada goose, new balance shoes, rolex watches, north face outlet, lululemon outlet, babyliss pro, mac cosmetics, p90x, ugg pas cher, soccer jerseys, wedding dresses, moncler, beats by dre, hollister, canada goose jackets, ghd, ugg boots, vans shoes, reebok outlet, mont blanc, valentino shoes, jimmy choo outlet, herve leger, soccer shoes, giuseppe zanotti, nfl jerseys, asics running shoes, ugg, moncler outlet, moncler, moncler, celine handbags, uggs outlet, canada goose outlet, longchamp

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:15:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

parajumpers, pandora charms, moncler, vans, ugg, karen millen, ray ban, louboutin, hollister clothing store, pandora charms, thomas sabo, hollister, converse, montre homme, swarovski crystal, air max, coach outlet store online, wedding dresses, ralph lauren, canada goose, swarovski, lancel, converse shoes, oakley, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, louis vuitton, baseball bats, juicy couture outlet, gucci, pandora jewelry, iphone 6 cases, hollister, timberland boots, supra shoes, links of london, ugg, moncler, air max, rolex watches, canada goose, moncler

 

Post a Comment

<< Home