Sunday, October 23, 2005

Buffer me, Gramps

Today I woke up in Ventura County thinking I would like to try Ventura Point or the Harbor, but then I checked Surfline and they were too big for me. The other breaks looked smaller, so I decided to drive by, check them out, and go to the one that looked best.

Leo Carillo wasn’t crowded, and the waves looked small and nice. But there were lots of rocks at the entrance to the water, and I didn’t know how far out. If I went straight in, it was a pretty short ride and I’d hit them in a couple of seconds. Everyone who was taking off was turning and going down the line. But I don’t know how to turn, so I didn’t see any way of avoiding the rocks.

Not knowing how to turn sure limits my surfing choices. If I could turn, I would be much more confident and could even take off on the same wave as someone else (at a safe distance, of course) knowing I wouldn’t crash into them. But in order to turn you’ve got to be able to stand up long enough...I feel like I’m years away from that point.

So I backtracked to County Line. It was four to five feet. No way was I going out. It was quite a scene this Sunday afternoon, cars parked all along the PCH, and a large peanut gallery. More cute bods per square inch than I ever have seen in New York.

Zuma was small and deserted---depressing as hell. So I ended up where my heart had been all along---back at Surfrider. I felt like maybe this time I could figure it out.

The waves were just as small as yesterday, the crowd a little smaller. Some of the same people were on the beach still or again. Even some of the same surfers were there again.

This time, in order to increase my chances of getting a wave, I concentrated on observing my fellow surfers and making a mental map of the lineup. In short order I got a sense of who could surf and who was just sitting there hardly trying for waves or missing them. (And one mottled gray head popping up from time to time without a board---a seal!)

Again I paddled for, and most definitely would have caught, five or six waves, only to have to pull back at the last minute to avoid a collision. These were such nice, forgiving waves that even when they crashed on your head (or were about to) they were easy, not like Rockaway closeouts that clobber you.

An older gray haired guy sitting next to me tries for a wave, blows it, and a second later this young kid comes speeding down the line, so Gramps is definitely lucky he didn’t catch the wave, because he would have gotten smacked. At one point where there were multiple guys on the same wave, I saw one of them actually push the other guy out of his way---actually grab him by the shoulders and push him off his board. This was so aggro that a bunch of us in the retard section couldn’t help exchanging looks and smiles.

That mellowed things out a bit, so I decided to start up a convo with Gramps. (Grandfathers are a demographic I have great success with.) So I threw out a line like, “Every time I go for a wave someone’s on it,” and we got started.

In between he was occasionally trying for waves, so I figured that if he kept doing that in the same spot of me, the good surfers would have no choice but to pull off the wave before hitting him, and once they did that I would be in a good position to take off on the rest of the wave without worrying about them hitting me. I was trying to set up a situation where Gramps would act as a buffer between the good surfers and me, thus giving me what looked like my only chance for a ride at Malibu.

It didn’t work, though; Gramps never caught a wave and the good surfers never pulled back.

Afterwards, though I’d been no more successful than the day before, I was ridiculously glad I’d tried Malibu again. I thought that now I deserved a T shirt saying “I surfed the retard section at Malibu.”

7 Comments:

At Sunday, February 26, 2006 10:29:00 AM, Blogger bonnie said...

The real retard sounds like the jerk who's grabbing somebody and shoving them off their board.

btw like your blog (which I found through Proper Course). Always love reading about other waterwomen (not girls or grrrls or whatever it is the kiddies are calling themselves these days but, like, women, y'know?). I'm mostly found on the Hudson but great to run into you on the internet.

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 4:42:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

longchamp handbags, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton handbags, tiffany and co, burberry outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, tory burch outlet, true religion jeans, prada handbags, nike shoes, christian louboutin shoes, kate spade outlet, coach factory outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, louboutin, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, nike free, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses cheap, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, kate spade handbags, coach purses, coach outlet store online, oakley sunglasses, coach outlet, chanel handbags, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, jordan shoes, polo ralph lauren outlet, louboutin, longchamp handbags, air max, burberry outlet, louboutin outlet, air max, gucci outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 4:59:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

birkin bag, north face jackets, instyler, canada goose uk, chi flat iron, canada goose, abercrombie and fitch, bottega veneta, nike roshe run, ugg boots, marc jacobs, ugg australia, insanity workout, mcm handbags, ferragamo shoes, nike huarache, canada goose, canada goose, new balance shoes, rolex watches, north face outlet, lululemon outlet, babyliss pro, mac cosmetics, p90x, ugg pas cher, soccer jerseys, wedding dresses, moncler, beats by dre, hollister, canada goose jackets, ghd, ugg boots, vans shoes, reebok outlet, mont blanc, valentino shoes, jimmy choo outlet, herve leger, soccer shoes, giuseppe zanotti, nfl jerseys, asics running shoes, ugg, moncler outlet, moncler, moncler, celine handbags, uggs outlet, canada goose outlet, longchamp

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:20:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

parajumpers, pandora charms, moncler, vans, ugg, karen millen, ray ban, louboutin, hollister clothing store, pandora charms, thomas sabo, hollister, converse, montre homme, swarovski crystal, air max, coach outlet store online, wedding dresses, ralph lauren, canada goose, swarovski, lancel, converse shoes, oakley, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, louis vuitton, baseball bats, juicy couture outlet, gucci, pandora jewelry, iphone 6 cases, hollister, timberland boots, supra shoes, links of london, ugg, moncler, air max, rolex watches, canada goose, moncler

 
At Sunday, January 03, 2016 10:03:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

gucci handbags, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, burberry handbags, chanel handbags, christian louboutin outlet, oakley sunglasses, tiffany and co, oakley sunglasses, tiffany jewelry, christian louboutin, longchamp outlet, longchamp outlet, ugg boots, louis vuitton, michael kors outlet online, uggs on sale, christian louboutin uk, nike air max, louis vuitton outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet online, uggs outlet, tory burch outlet, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, burberry outlet, nike air max, oakley sunglasses wholesale, ugg boots, michael kors outlet online, kate spade outlet, uggs outlet, replica watches, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet online, longchamp outlet, polo outlet, michael kors outlet online, prada handbags, nike free, replica watches, louis vuitton outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, nike outlet, louis vuitton

 
At Sunday, January 03, 2016 10:05:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

hollister pas cher, jordan pas cher, true religion outlet, lululemon canada, mulberry uk, michael kors, sac longchamp pas cher, nike roshe, nike air max, timberland pas cher, converse pas cher, longchamp pas cher, kate spade, air max, ray ban uk, nike air max uk, sac hermes, sac vanessa bruno, north face uk, polo ralph lauren, north face, michael kors, true religion jeans, ray ban pas cher, nike air force, michael kors outlet, guess pas cher, nike roshe run uk, michael kors pas cher, vans pas cher, coach purses, true religion outlet, ralph lauren uk, coach outlet, abercrombie and fitch uk, replica handbags, coach outlet store online, louboutin pas cher, hollister uk, oakley pas cher, burberry pas cher, nike tn, polo lacoste, nike free uk, nike air max uk, nike blazer pas cher, true religion outlet, hogan outlet, new balance, nike free run

 
At Sunday, January 03, 2016 10:11:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

swarovski, montre pas cher, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, canada goose outlet, canada goose outlet, converse outlet, ugg pas cher, louis vuitton, moncler, canada goose, hollister, gucci, converse, supra shoes, nike air max, ray ban, louis vuitton, canada goose, louis vuitton, canada goose jackets, pandora charms, moncler outlet, vans, moncler, louis vuitton, replica watches, karen millen uk, louis vuitton, pandora jewelry, juicy couture outlet, doke gabbana, moncler outlet, hollister, canada goose outlet, thomas sabo, pandora jewelry, wedding dresses, marc jacobs, barbour uk, ugg, lancel, swarovski crystal, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, pandora uk, canada goose, juicy couture outlet, moncler uk, canada goose uk, toms shoes, ugg uk, links of london, coach outlet, barbour

 

Post a Comment

<< Home