Saturday, October 22, 2005

Almost a dry hair day in Malibu

Today I was supposed to drive to Ventura. I had checked the Surfline forecast before leaving my hotel and for Malibu it said “Flat-Fair”. How can conditions be fair if they are flat? On the cam, it didn’t look completely flat, and it was crowded. I had been scared of trying Malibu but figured that if it was flat, even I could handle it.

So I decided to drive to Ventura via Highway 1 so I could check it out.

Before I even left one of the Paskowitzes called me back, returning the message I’d left on the surf camp answering machine, and in about a 20-minute conversation tried to figure out if he could help where everyone else had failed. “I have a 100% success rate,” he boasted, just like every other instructor I’ve brought down to 99.8%. Well, I couldn’t figure out if he could help or not, but he was willing to give me a lesson and I was willing to try. We set it up for Monday.

After that I nearly decided to go south instead of north, but decided I had time to do both.

On the way from LA I decided to try to find the Sunset break I’d been told to try, but not realizing there are two Sunsets, ended up on Sunset Avenue in Venice instead of Sunset Boulevard in Santa Monica. The Saturday afternoon Venice boardwalk fleamarket/sideshow was worth seeing, and it reminded me a lot of New York City before they banished all the homeless people. Apparently they all ended up here, except they now clutch their earthly possessions in cheap wheeled luggage instead of shopping carts. I ended up buying a $10 watercolor of a surfer woman from a man who, I was told, had been living under a tree for twelve years.

I didn’t stay long on the boardwalk because I had left the dog in the car. This was the first time I’d ever left her alone like that for any period of time. God bless doggie senility.

After that, I found Sunset Blvd. But the sign said only six miles to Malibu, and I was determined to see it.

What a spot, what a wave! People hanging out as if they’d always been on this beach and always would be. When I saw all the dogs in the parking lot, I knew I was going to like this spot.

The waves were the long perfect peelers I’ve heard about and have been in search of ever since I started surfing, but had never seen. Until now. Here was what I’d come to California for. And they were small, and looked easy to surf! Yes, it was crowded, but I’ve seen just as many people out in Rockaway in the summertime. There were about 30 to 40 black dots in the water, all heading for the peak in what actually looked like a line, I mean the kind of line where everyone waits their turn in orderly fashion. It couldn’t be that, though, could it?

I tried to ask an Asian guy on the beach, but like all guys in their 20s, he couldn’t conceive of the fact that an obviously middle aged woman could be a surfer. So he ended up telling me that I should go get a video if I wanted to learn to surf!

Now I felt like I could leave the dog in the car for a couple hours. As I was suiting up I felt gloriously confident. This was it, the mecca of meccas, the wave that would finally make me a real surfer! Even if I didn’t dare reach for the peak, I could easily take some of the little insiders as I saw people doing.

I’d not even expected a chance to surf Malibu, but here I was, already grinning, anticipating the triumphant phone calls home: “Guess where I am? I rode the waves at Malibu!”, as well as the T shirt I would happily buy myself later, proudly proclaiming “I surfed Malibu!” I was about to earn the right to such a shirt.

I paddled out competently, encouraged by the sight of dolphins in the lineup, cutting my foot only a little bit on the unforeseen rocks. I had thought Malibu was only for experts, but I could see there were other beginner surfers here. Just like Rockaway, it has a retard section. I would not be the worst surfer at Malibu!

Maybe not....but close. The waves that had looked so easy to catch from shore were nearly impossible to find in the water. I was way over on the shoulder, yet figuring I could still catch a wave because they were so long. That wasn’t how it worked, though. Every time I was in position to paddle for a wave, someone else was on it and would pass in front of me, someone who’d started his ride so far down the line I hadn’t even seen him take off. So he appeared to come out of nowhere, was going very fast, and had no intention of stopping, falling, or getting out of the way for me. There may be retards at Malibu, but there are also surfers of stellar ability (including, I was told, Allan somebody who used to be famous in the 80s). So every time I almost had a wave---and I did---I had to pull back to avoid a collision with Joe Used-to-be-a-Famous-Pro-Surfer. Here, you couldn’t count on anyone blowing a takeoff or falling off a wave.

As a result, I had dry hair at the end of my first hour at Malibu. I hadn’t even fallen off my board. Eventually, sometime during my second hour, I caught one small wave, which led to a long ride, but not long enough for me to figure out how to get to my feet. My Malibu wave count remained at one until I got too hungry to stay in any longer.

I let my dog out and she mixed vaguely with the West Coast dogs and tried to bite the golden retriever. Then the idiot followed me into the shower where she drenched herself in cold water and emerged shivering pitifully. But not before she relieved herself on the sands of Mecca. I figured that now I could go search the local gift shops for the only T shirt I deserved: “My dog crapped on Malibu Beach”.

5 Comments:

At Monday, November 10, 2014 4:42:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

longchamp handbags, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton handbags, tiffany and co, burberry outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, tory burch outlet, true religion jeans, prada handbags, nike shoes, christian louboutin shoes, kate spade outlet, coach factory outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, louboutin, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, nike free, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses cheap, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, kate spade handbags, coach purses, coach outlet store online, oakley sunglasses, coach outlet, chanel handbags, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, jordan shoes, polo ralph lauren outlet, louboutin, longchamp handbags, air max, burberry outlet, louboutin outlet, air max, gucci outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 4:59:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

birkin bag, north face jackets, instyler, canada goose uk, chi flat iron, canada goose, abercrombie and fitch, bottega veneta, nike roshe run, ugg boots, marc jacobs, ugg australia, insanity workout, mcm handbags, ferragamo shoes, nike huarache, canada goose, canada goose, new balance shoes, rolex watches, north face outlet, lululemon outlet, babyliss pro, mac cosmetics, p90x, ugg pas cher, soccer jerseys, wedding dresses, moncler, beats by dre, hollister, canada goose jackets, ghd, ugg boots, vans shoes, reebok outlet, mont blanc, valentino shoes, jimmy choo outlet, herve leger, soccer shoes, giuseppe zanotti, nfl jerseys, asics running shoes, ugg, moncler outlet, moncler, moncler, celine handbags, uggs outlet, canada goose outlet, longchamp

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:13:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

parajumpers, pandora charms, moncler, vans, ugg, karen millen, ray ban, louboutin, hollister clothing store, pandora charms, thomas sabo, hollister, converse, montre homme, swarovski crystal, air max, coach outlet store online, wedding dresses, ralph lauren, canada goose, swarovski, lancel, converse shoes, oakley, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, louis vuitton, baseball bats, juicy couture outlet, gucci, pandora jewelry, iphone 6 cases, hollister, timberland boots, supra shoes, links of london, ugg, moncler, air max, rolex watches, canada goose, moncler

 
At Sunday, January 03, 2016 10:03:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

gucci handbags, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, burberry handbags, chanel handbags, christian louboutin outlet, oakley sunglasses, tiffany and co, oakley sunglasses, tiffany jewelry, christian louboutin, longchamp outlet, longchamp outlet, ugg boots, louis vuitton, michael kors outlet online, uggs on sale, christian louboutin uk, nike air max, louis vuitton outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet online, uggs outlet, tory burch outlet, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, burberry outlet, nike air max, oakley sunglasses wholesale, ugg boots, michael kors outlet online, kate spade outlet, uggs outlet, replica watches, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet online, longchamp outlet, polo outlet, michael kors outlet online, prada handbags, nike free, replica watches, louis vuitton outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, nike outlet, louis vuitton

 
At Sunday, January 03, 2016 10:05:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

hollister pas cher, jordan pas cher, true religion outlet, lululemon canada, mulberry uk, michael kors, sac longchamp pas cher, nike roshe, nike air max, timberland pas cher, converse pas cher, longchamp pas cher, kate spade, air max, ray ban uk, nike air max uk, sac hermes, sac vanessa bruno, north face uk, polo ralph lauren, north face, michael kors, true religion jeans, ray ban pas cher, nike air force, michael kors outlet, guess pas cher, nike roshe run uk, michael kors pas cher, vans pas cher, coach purses, true religion outlet, ralph lauren uk, coach outlet, abercrombie and fitch uk, replica handbags, coach outlet store online, louboutin pas cher, hollister uk, oakley pas cher, burberry pas cher, nike tn, polo lacoste, nike free uk, nike air max uk, nike blazer pas cher, true religion outlet, hogan outlet, new balance, nike free run

 

Post a Comment

<< Home