Friday, July 11, 2008

A little help

Let us pause for a moment to commemorate my 5th anniversary of surfing (or at least surf-related behavior): July 3rd. It happened to be a nonsurfing day spent in Manhattan (though I did watch a surf video).

Besides myself, only one other person took note: C., who's been yelling at me for a while in advance of my anniversary: "Five years and you still can't surf! Blahblahblah etc.etc."

But of course, he's wrong. I can.

Though yesterday you might not have known it. I took comfort in watching others and noting that everyone, even the good surfers, was having more difficulty than usual catching and riding waves. Why this should be was a mystery, because the wind was in the right direction, the tide was not too high, the waves were not too big. There was no obvious reason. I am sure there were reasons, but they weren't obvious. It was a day when the surf report promised much and the waves looked good from shore but turned out to be no fun at all.

Today they looked the same (good) but actually were. And I did well! I stood up and rode the biggest wave I've ever ridden! OK, it wasn't that big! But it was at least three feet! (I think).

Let me back up and say I had a little help. I paddled out near this guy whose name I can't tell you because I don't know it, and who probably doesn't merit a pseudoinitial because he will likely never appear in this blog again, but who I've seen out lots of times (and who has seen me out lots of times.) In fact he seems to know all about me, including my ill-fated surf lesson in the summer of 2006 which apparently some people are still talking about. (See post about Ben Sargent, June 19, 2006--the guy who promised a refund of my money if I didn't stand up and then reneged on that promise. Ben, you still owe me a hundred bucks.)

Anyway, he was kind enough to point out that I was sitting too far outside today and, once I started going for waves from closer in, to offer his advice. It was just to tell me why what happened had happened---but that is a huge, huge help. "You were paddling too fast and getting in front of the wave" for instance. Or---something I already knew but hadn't heard anyone verify---"You're afraid of the acceleration" (translation: I don't like going too fast) and "You fell forward, try standing back when you pop up."

I definitely was popping up today and doing it much quicker than I have been. I got the timing right many times. I was on top of the wave instead of behind it and as always, it feels different.

After that, though, I would sometimes stall out---just not go anywhere---without knowing why, and if I did get going, I would try to turn but would be unable; I swear the wave wanted me to go straight. It was the only way I could keep going and balance. (Yes, I know waves never want you to go straight.) By that time no-initial guy had drifted down the line so I didn't get his take on that.

It makes so much difference to have a little help, it makes me wonder how I would have fared if I'd had it all along. It's an interesting chicken and egg question: I am hated because I can't surf...or is it that I can't surf because I am hated? If the local surf mafia hadn't closed ranks against me about a year and a half into my surfing attempts, if instead they had been friendly and helpful, would I be where I am today, or would I have learned to surf better a long time ago? I don't know, I've so rarely had the offer of help from anybody I didn't pay for it...in part because for better or worse women are always looking to men for help in this sport, and I'm old and ugly instead of young and hot. There are a few exceptions, guys who have helped me out, and I've always eagerly accepted their help and learned a lot from it (even if they think I didn't). They probably did it out of pity, but who cares, that doesn't matter. They know who they are.

So thanks, no-initial guy. I had a great day today.

8 Comments:

At Saturday, July 12, 2008 8:03:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you wanted to go straight in yesterday's waves because they were all closing out. really there weren't a whole lot of open faces to work with and most people i saw up and riding, with very, very few exceptions had nowhere else to go. i follow your blog and know the beach at which you surf. try not to stress too much about being "old and ugly." i think that's really in your head and your actual appearance has nothing to do with how you are treated in the lineup. however, your self-perception (that you are unattractive) may have a much larger effect. i'm female and learned to surf without some "big strong surfer-man" to take me in and coach me on how to surf. you don't need that kind of chauvinistic relationship. you can do it on your own if you pay attention, try to stay out of the way, accept that there are surfers out there better than you, watch them, what they do - not just on their boards, but everything in the water, and learn to read the ocean. good luck to you. once you stop caring about improvement and focus on having fun no matter what you're doing (meaning quit judging yourself! allow yourself to experience surfing without a mental scorecard) you'll actually get better faster.

 
At Saturday, July 12, 2008 7:55:00 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

What she said!

 
At Tuesday, July 15, 2008 7:18:00 PM, Blogger Grandma said...

Anon, women can and do help each other learn too. We don't need to wait for a man. But I get no help from the women either.

Interestingly, I've watched a woman who's fairly new, and close to my age, get inducted into the cult recently. A few months ago she was worse than me. We used to commiserate. Now that she's in the cult everyone helps her out, and guess what? Of course. She is getting good.

 
At Saturday, August 02, 2008 8:37:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is ashame that no one is helping you out as some helpful words can really make things a lot easier. Yet this, although not always, does characterize a lot of surfing where there is intense ownership of a break where it is hard for a newbie to crack into the ranks.

Growing up, I had my local break and had no problem as I was one of the guys but I knew of other breaks such as Manasquan which would be near impossible to break into on good days.

That is fine with me. I'm past the point of fighting for a stinking wave. Not worth the grief and as a Christian I'd never think of doing such a thing.

In any case, keep at it and maintain a positive attitude. We each grow at different levels. Work on your conditioning especially your legs. Get a balance board if you don't have one such as an Indo board. Do hindu squats which are great for the legs. And try lifeline cables to increase paddling muscles.

Peace -

 
At Monday, August 04, 2008 4:20:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once you know the basics, whether they're taught or you learn them yourself, it's just a matter of water time. The more time you spend in the water, the better you will get... eventually.

I do have to say it's harder to surf in lousy conditions than perfect ones. Small, gutless, closed-out waves are tough to surf no matter how good you are.

I grew up surfing perfect waves at First Point, Malibu and I have to say when I hit some lousy beachbreak it's hard to tell I've been surfing over 30 years!

Hang in there!

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:36:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

longchamp handbags, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton handbags, tiffany and co, burberry outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, tory burch outlet, true religion jeans, prada handbags, nike shoes, christian louboutin shoes, kate spade outlet, coach factory outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, louboutin, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, nike free, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses cheap, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, kate spade handbags, coach purses, coach outlet store online, oakley sunglasses, coach outlet, chanel handbags, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, jordan shoes, polo ralph lauren outlet, louboutin, longchamp handbags, air max, burberry outlet, louboutin outlet, air max, gucci outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:38:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

birkin bag, north face jackets, instyler, canada goose uk, chi flat iron, canada goose, abercrombie and fitch, bottega veneta, nike roshe run, ugg boots, marc jacobs, ugg australia, insanity workout, mcm handbags, ferragamo shoes, nike huarache, canada goose, canada goose, new balance shoes, rolex watches, north face outlet, lululemon outlet, babyliss pro, mac cosmetics, p90x, ugg pas cher, soccer jerseys, wedding dresses, moncler, beats by dre, hollister, canada goose jackets, ghd, ugg boots, vans shoes, reebok outlet, mont blanc, valentino shoes, jimmy choo outlet, herve leger, soccer shoes, giuseppe zanotti, nfl jerseys, asics running shoes, ugg, moncler outlet, moncler, moncler, celine handbags, uggs outlet, canada goose outlet, longchamp

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:43:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

parajumpers, pandora charms, moncler, vans, ugg, karen millen, ray ban, louboutin, hollister clothing store, pandora charms, thomas sabo, hollister, converse, montre homme, swarovski crystal, air max, coach outlet store online, wedding dresses, ralph lauren, canada goose, swarovski, lancel, converse shoes, oakley, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, louis vuitton, baseball bats, juicy couture outlet, gucci, pandora jewelry, iphone 6 cases, hollister, timberland boots, supra shoes, links of london, ugg, moncler, air max, rolex watches, canada goose, moncler

 

Post a Comment

<< Home