Friday, June 27, 2008

Surfing and music

I know what you're thinking. What's with the long silence? Did I regress again and become too discouraged to post?

First, let me say there have really been no waves for over a week (as far as I know) and second, anyway, I have been out of town. I can state with certainty that there were no waves anywhere near Washington, DC. Here's where I was: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Labor_Arts_Exchange
an event very near and dear to my heart and one I heartily recommend. I had an absolute blast.
In between events at the conference, I had the chance to try out a couple of these, which can't be found in New York at the moment: http://fazioli.com/eng/modello_f228.php#f228
Playing Keith Jarrett on one of these is nothing short of a religious experience.

I played the end of the first movement of his (transcribed) Koln concert, which is entirely fitting because this is the piece of music that was playing in my head the entire first summer I started trying to learn to surf (2004). I love that piece to death---especially the rockin' parts. Some time after that summer, I can't say when but it might have been as long as a year later, I discovered the transcription and began learning it. I have to say it is one of the most difficult pieces I have ever attempted. It has taken me until now, summer 2008, to learn to play it properly. And I've only learned the first of the three movements---but that in itself is 35 pages. I got the end down not long ago, and it's the best, most joyous part of the entire concert. It sounds good on any piano, but on a Fazioli it is transcendent.

And finally: No. I did not regress. I had planned to take it easy today, recuperating and reorienting after the trip, but the waves were just too good. I had to go out. Yes, I did it again. If there's anything better than catching a perfect wave, it's having that ride witnessed and complimented by D., senior surfer, former surf teacher, friend and all around good guy. And other people did, too. "I saw the barrel of the wave right behind your board," is what D. said. And he congratulated me for not quitting given all the shit I've had to put up with, amply documented on this blog. I've been waiting a long time to hear that.

D. is also a musician. Would he rather play music or surf, I've asked him. No hesitation: play music. Which is more of a religious experience, Jarrett on Fazioli or riding a barreling wave? Well, that's a more difficult question to answer. Maybe if I were surfing big waves and getting long rides surfing would win. But I don't think so.

One more thing: No wetsuit today, Woohooo! This day deserves to be a national holiday like Turnaround Day.

7 Comments:

At Monday, June 30, 2008 7:57:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a question. What have you learned about the pop-up? Do you stand at the top of the wave or once you hit the bottom? I remember you mentioned that once that there is a difference.

 
At Tuesday, July 01, 2008 6:47:00 PM, Blogger Grandma said...

I am trying to pop up at the beginning (top) of each wave because I think that's the correct way. (Yes, it feels totally different.) But I don't always make it that quickly. At least I can now pop up even if I do it at the bottom of a wave.

 
At Tuesday, July 01, 2008 7:30:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel at the top of the wave it is way too unstable and there's a greater chance of falling off. But if I wait til the bottom it is sort of wasting the wave, I think. Also I have really long legs and I can't really fit my legs through my arms. That's great that you have learned how to do it.

 
At Thursday, July 03, 2008 7:32:00 AM, Blogger Fred said...

Just came accross your blog There is a "Soul sister" , whom I fancied a lot back in my windsurfing years.
Kelby Anno. You can find something here on my "forgotten blog" http://kelbyannofanclub.blogspot.com/2006/04/e-mail-von-kelby.html

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 4:58:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

longchamp handbags, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton handbags, tiffany and co, burberry outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, tory burch outlet, true religion jeans, prada handbags, nike shoes, christian louboutin shoes, kate spade outlet, coach factory outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, louboutin, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, nike free, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses cheap, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, kate spade handbags, coach purses, coach outlet store online, oakley sunglasses, coach outlet, chanel handbags, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, jordan shoes, polo ralph lauren outlet, louboutin, longchamp handbags, air max, burberry outlet, louboutin outlet, air max, gucci outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:12:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

birkin bag, north face jackets, instyler, canada goose uk, chi flat iron, canada goose, abercrombie and fitch, bottega veneta, nike roshe run, ugg boots, marc jacobs, ugg australia, insanity workout, mcm handbags, ferragamo shoes, nike huarache, canada goose, canada goose, new balance shoes, rolex watches, north face outlet, lululemon outlet, babyliss pro, mac cosmetics, p90x, ugg pas cher, soccer jerseys, wedding dresses, moncler, beats by dre, hollister, canada goose jackets, ghd, ugg boots, vans shoes, reebok outlet, mont blanc, valentino shoes, jimmy choo outlet, herve leger, soccer shoes, giuseppe zanotti, nfl jerseys, asics running shoes, ugg, moncler outlet, moncler, moncler, celine handbags, uggs outlet, canada goose outlet, longchamp

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:24:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

parajumpers, pandora charms, moncler, vans, ugg, karen millen, ray ban, louboutin, hollister clothing store, pandora charms, thomas sabo, hollister, converse, montre homme, swarovski crystal, air max, coach outlet store online, wedding dresses, ralph lauren, canada goose, swarovski, lancel, converse shoes, oakley, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, louis vuitton, baseball bats, juicy couture outlet, gucci, pandora jewelry, iphone 6 cases, hollister, timberland boots, supra shoes, links of london, ugg, moncler, air max, rolex watches, canada goose, moncler

 

Post a Comment

<< Home