Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Skiing = waves

Wow, I can't believe how long it's been since I surfed/posted here. The day after my last post I got sick for the first time in, oh, I don't know, about ten years, thanks to my sometime roommate who was suffering the same ailment (cold/flu). And I stayed out of the water for two weeks until I felt better.

Then there were no waves, then, this weekend I went skiing...Bingo! Wavos!

I missed out, but at least I got in on the biggest snowstorm this winter.

It was my first time skiing this season. Because, ladies and gentlemen, my book is now DONE! And I mean really done. Not like, done but being edited. Done as in: NO REASON TO SPEND MY LIFE STARING AT A COMPUTER SCREEN ALL DAY EVERY DAY ANY MORE!

Done as in, I can do other things.

Like go to the top of a mountain.

I'll be skiing more this year as much as I can. Though I've been skiing a long time, and can ski any black diamond (expert) trail, my skiing can use improvement. Just cause I get to the bottom without falling down doesn't mean I'm doing it right (as my ski instructor said this weekend). I need to rethink my balance; he says I'm putting way too much effort in when I could do the same with much less effort just by adopting a correct stance. I know he's right.

Which leads to some interesting comparisons between surfing and skiing. Surfing, you're not balanced, you fall down immediately. Skiing, you can still stay up in all kinds of ways even if you're not really balanced but there are costs (like using muscles that were never meant to be used the way you're using them.) In other words, it's easier to fake it in skiing.

It also hurts a hell of a lot more when you fall.

My real (as in to a real mountain, not this New York State stuff) ski trip is to come and the annual ski blog shall return.

P. S. OK, I'm just going to say this. Getting out of New York City to other parts of the world is, in some ways, a disconcerting experience, especially when it's that land called upstate (the most boring, characterless place I've ever been to. Even Ohio and Illinois and Iowa have character.) In particular, I can't get used to the blinding whiteness, and I don't mean the snow. I mean the people.

It's enough to make me miss my neighborhood. And I am just gonna say this, though I may get flack. Checking out the guys at the resort, I didn't see anything like what I see at home. Whatever I may feel and say about the local guys being assholes (a well deserved title in so many cases), they are for the most part, I must admit, a remarkably good looking crew.

(With the exception of A.N. and a few others, who's so bad looking some people think he's good. Don't get swelled heads, guys.)

3 Comments:

At Monday, November 10, 2014 4:57:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

longchamp handbags, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton handbags, tiffany and co, burberry outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, tory burch outlet, true religion jeans, prada handbags, nike shoes, christian louboutin shoes, kate spade outlet, coach factory outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, louboutin, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, nike free, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses cheap, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, kate spade handbags, coach purses, coach outlet store online, oakley sunglasses, coach outlet, chanel handbags, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, jordan shoes, polo ralph lauren outlet, louboutin, longchamp handbags, air max, burberry outlet, louboutin outlet, air max, gucci outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:19:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

birkin bag, north face jackets, instyler, canada goose uk, chi flat iron, canada goose, abercrombie and fitch, bottega veneta, nike roshe run, ugg boots, marc jacobs, ugg australia, insanity workout, mcm handbags, ferragamo shoes, nike huarache, canada goose, canada goose, new balance shoes, rolex watches, north face outlet, lululemon outlet, babyliss pro, mac cosmetics, p90x, ugg pas cher, soccer jerseys, wedding dresses, moncler, beats by dre, hollister, canada goose jackets, ghd, ugg boots, vans shoes, reebok outlet, mont blanc, valentino shoes, jimmy choo outlet, herve leger, soccer shoes, giuseppe zanotti, nfl jerseys, asics running shoes, ugg, moncler outlet, moncler, moncler, celine handbags, uggs outlet, canada goose outlet, longchamp

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:19:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

VVparajumpers, pandora charms, moncler, vans, ugg, karen millen, ray ban, louboutin, hollister clothing store, pandora charms, thomas sabo, hollister, converse, montre homme, swarovski crystal, air max, coach outlet store online, wedding dresses, ralph lauren, canada goose, swarovski, lancel, converse shoes, oakley, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, louis vuitton, baseball bats, juicy couture outlet, gucci, pandora jewelry, iphone 6 cases, hollister, timberland boots, supra shoes, links of london, ugg, moncler, air max, rolex watches, canada goose, moncler

 

Post a Comment

<< Home