Saturday, January 12, 2008

Good Saturday

Today was a bigger, better day than we've seen in some time, and it was sunny and warm and Saturday, and of course that means a lot of people were out. I waited as long as I thought I could for the tide to drop, but as it turned out wind was favorable all day. Waves were about waist high.

I got, and got up on and rode, my first wave of the day, which makes any session a good session. I had a few of those. But the waves would close out too quickly, and when they did I didn't know how to keep my balance, and fell. I saw some people who were getting longer rides---the key seemed to be turning hard and fast once on the wave. But I haven't learned how to do that and these weren't waves that gave me time to figure it out.

The thing that is still surprising me is that I am making all of my takeoffs now! In the second half of the session, I was so surprised to have made some of them that I didn't stand up right away, thinking I hadn't made it, and then when I realized I had, it was really to late to get up. And some of them I made so early, which I think is a good thing, that I didn't stand up right away because I thought the wave was going to drop down on me---which it did, but I can handle that now, if I'm prepared for it. (Do you even know what I mean by drop down? I find it frustratingly hard to express in words a lot of what happens out there.) The feeling of taking off early is so different from most of what I've been doing. (Do you know what I mean by early? Up high on the wave?)

All in all I was doing very well and feeling very confident. I think it's true what people have been telling me: it really is easier to stand up on a bigger wave.

Then C. came out and started getting in my way. No use surfing anywhere near C., because no matter who's in rightful position for a wave, he'll take it. He's not so much Surf Mafia as Surf Mafia of One.

Yeah, I dropped in on him. I did it on purpose. I thought we could work it out. He and the Mafia are always dropping in on each other, plus he drops in on everybody all the time. On purpose.

It didn't really work, but we didn't collide; we just both blew the wave.

That was twelve hours ago, and I am sure he hasn't stopped talking about it since, blowing it up into mythology as everybody does every little thing here. C. has the mentality of a 12-year-old, which means he doesn't get tired of saying the same thing over and over. By this time it's become the Legend of How I Dropped In on Him, and he's going to run me off the beach, hire a posse to keep me out of the water, etc. etc.

I'm glad to be the source of entertainment for him, but dropping in on C. is hardly a crime. I've just gotta get to the point where I can do it with more skills.

3 Comments:

At Monday, November 10, 2014 4:57:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

longchamp handbags, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton handbags, tiffany and co, burberry outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, tory burch outlet, true religion jeans, prada handbags, nike shoes, christian louboutin shoes, kate spade outlet, coach factory outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, louboutin, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, nike free, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses cheap, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, kate spade handbags, coach purses, coach outlet store online, oakley sunglasses, coach outlet, chanel handbags, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, jordan shoes, polo ralph lauren outlet, louboutin, longchamp handbags, air max, burberry outlet, louboutin outlet, air max, gucci outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:08:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

birkin bag, north face jackets, instyler, canada goose uk, chi flat iron, canada goose, abercrombie and fitch, bottega veneta, nike roshe run, ugg boots, marc jacobs, ugg australia, insanity workout, mcm handbags, ferragamo shoes, nike huarache, canada goose, canada goose, new balance shoes, rolex watches, north face outlet, lululemon outlet, babyliss pro, mac cosmetics, p90x, ugg pas cher, soccer jerseys, wedding dresses, moncler, beats by dre, hollister, canada goose jackets, ghd, ugg boots, vans shoes, reebok outlet, mont blanc, valentino shoes, jimmy choo outlet, herve leger, soccer shoes, giuseppe zanotti, nfl jerseys, asics running shoes, ugg, moncler outlet, moncler, moncler, celine handbags, uggs outlet, canada goose outlet, longchamp

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:24:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

parajumpers, pandora charms, moncler, vans, ugg, karen millen, ray ban, louboutin, hollister clothing store, pandora charms, thomas sabo, hollister, converse, montre homme, swarovski crystal, air max, coach outlet store online, wedding dresses, ralph lauren, canada goose, swarovski, lancel, converse shoes, oakley, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, louis vuitton, baseball bats, juicy couture outlet, gucci, pandora jewelry, iphone 6 cases, hollister, timberland boots, supra shoes, links of london, ugg, moncler, air max, rolex watches, canada goose, moncler

 

Post a Comment

<< Home