Monday, December 31, 2007

Surf marathon

Today was my sixth day of surfing in a row! For a year that was notably lacking in waves, that is a record. And I am doing so much better now. In fact, yesterday's morning session with small, clean waves was one of the best of the year. Looking back, though, I see there are actually a lot of candidates for the best surf day of 2007 award.

Yesterday was beautiful, I enjoyed seeing some of the people in the water, and even better, got some long rides right in front of them. I even got cheered by a woman I've seen a few times but don't know.

I am also virtually certain I made history by being the first person to surf and attend a performance of The Nutcracker by the New York City Ballet on the same day. That's the wonder of living at a surf break in an urban area. Anyone else who's surfed and seen that classic Christmas ballet on the same day, please send me a message.

Today the wind was totally in the wrong direction, and yet I didn't want to end my marathon, so went out anyway. I was able to get up and riding even in the sideshore crap. And I struck up a conversation with another woman from yesterday. I saw L. in the water, who I haven't seen since the end of summer. I said hi to him, but he was acting like a jerk. I almost told him that I had just been thinking about him, which was true--but only because I had just made up my traditional year-end list of the Top Ten Assholes of 2007 and he made the list at about number seven. (I make lots of year-end lists: books, movies, music, etc.)

If I had to rank surf days of 2007 yesterday would be near the top. I didn't count, but I probably got the most rides. I'm telling you, people, since I figured out the paddling thing it's a whole new game.

And the award for the best surf advice of the year goes to: Surfsister, who told me she suspected paddling error months ago. Thanks, sis! I had two planned trips to California that got cancelled this year. Maybe in 2o08 I will get there again.

Happy New Year everyone!

4 Comments:

At Wednesday, January 02, 2008 10:29:00 AM, Blogger Surfsister said...

I'm glad I could be of assistance. I wish you would come out here. But you'd better hurry. My quiver is changing rapidly and my boards are getting shorter. Don't worry though. I've still got two longboards (a log and a single fin). Happy New Year!

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 4:56:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

longchamp handbags, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton handbags, tiffany and co, burberry outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, tory burch outlet, true religion jeans, prada handbags, nike shoes, christian louboutin shoes, kate spade outlet, coach factory outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, louboutin, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, nike free, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses cheap, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, kate spade handbags, coach purses, coach outlet store online, oakley sunglasses, coach outlet, chanel handbags, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, jordan shoes, polo ralph lauren outlet, louboutin, longchamp handbags, air max, burberry outlet, louboutin outlet, air max, gucci outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:08:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

birkin bag, north face jackets, instyler, canada goose uk, chi flat iron, canada goose, abercrombie and fitch, bottega veneta, nike roshe run, ugg boots, marc jacobs, ugg australia, insanity workout, mcm handbags, ferragamo shoes, nike huarache, canada goose, canada goose, new balance shoes, rolex watches, north face outlet, lululemon outlet, babyliss pro, mac cosmetics, p90x, ugg pas cher, soccer jerseys, wedding dresses, moncler, beats by dre, hollister, canada goose jackets, ghd, ugg boots, vans shoes, reebok outlet, mont blanc, valentino shoes, jimmy choo outlet, herve leger, soccer shoes, giuseppe zanotti, nfl jerseys, asics running shoes, ugg, moncler outlet, moncler, moncler, celine handbags, uggs outlet, canada goose outlet, longchamp

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:18:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

parajumpers, pandora charms, moncler, vans, ugg, karen millen, ray ban, louboutin, hollister clothing store, pandora charms, thomas sabo, hollister, converse, montre homme, swarovski crystal, air max, coach outlet store online, wedding dresses, ralph lauren, canada goose, swarovski, lancel, converse shoes, oakley, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, louis vuitton, baseball bats, juicy couture outlet, gucci, pandora jewelry, iphone 6 cases, hollister, timberland boots, supra shoes, links of london, ugg, moncler, air max, rolex watches, canada goose, moncler

 

Post a Comment

<< Home