Saturday, December 29, 2007

Real redemption

Against all odds, it happened today. I was able to get some rides and actually have fun. I made most of the waves I went for (though getting up is still a struggle). And despite being as crowded as summer---well, it was fifty degrees out---it was a mellow, friendly session. The sun even peeked out.

Yesterday I had an epiphany that made all the difference. This is going to sound stupid to you, because you all know it. In fact, people have been telling it to me for years, so in a sense I knew it too, but there is knowing and then there is knowing. It was simply this: as long as I get some paddling speed and momentum up before catching the wave (hopefully creating the feeling of being one with the board) I am going to catch it. I am going to know I am going to catch it, and in that way have an extra split second to prepare for getting up, increasing my chances of standing.

I also realized that when I get up on one knee I have to keep my hands on the rails the whole time; there is no other way to do it. And releasing my hands is the key to getting up quickly and balancing. Conversely, there is no way to do a popup with hands on the rails. They have to release.

Today I did about half and half, half hands on, half off. That is something to work on.

4 Comments:

At Monday, December 31, 2007 6:38:00 AM, Blogger Markitos said...

Hiya. This may sound weird but I learned how to do popups on my bed when I was a kid. I'd put my surfboard on the bed and just start popping up. The bed kind of moves about more then the floor.

 
At Tuesday, January 01, 2008 11:41:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:08:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

birkin bag, north face jackets, instyler, canada goose uk, chi flat iron, canada goose, abercrombie and fitch, bottega veneta, nike roshe run, ugg boots, marc jacobs, ugg australia, insanity workout, mcm handbags, ferragamo shoes, nike huarache, canada goose, canada goose, new balance shoes, rolex watches, north face outlet, lululemon outlet, babyliss pro, mac cosmetics, p90x, ugg pas cher, soccer jerseys, wedding dresses, moncler, beats by dre, hollister, canada goose jackets, ghd, ugg boots, vans shoes, reebok outlet, mont blanc, valentino shoes, jimmy choo outlet, herve leger, soccer shoes, giuseppe zanotti, nfl jerseys, asics running shoes, ugg, moncler outlet, moncler, moncler, celine handbags, uggs outlet, canada goose outlet, longchamp

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:18:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

parajumpers, pandora charms, moncler, vans, ugg, karen millen, ray ban, louboutin, hollister clothing store, pandora charms, thomas sabo, hollister, converse, montre homme, swarovski crystal, air max, coach outlet store online, wedding dresses, ralph lauren, canada goose, swarovski, lancel, converse shoes, oakley, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, louis vuitton, baseball bats, juicy couture outlet, gucci, pandora jewelry, iphone 6 cases, hollister, timberland boots, supra shoes, links of london, ugg, moncler, air max, rolex watches, canada goose, moncler

 

Post a Comment

<< Home