Sunday, December 23, 2007

Struggling

Looked out the window. Saw waves. No brainwork was necessary: go surfing.

There should have been brainwork.

The guy I saw out the window was getting rides. I saw him coming out when I was going in and he warned me that the paddleout was a bitch. "A lot of people are having trouble getting out."

And then I and four guys struggled for an hour to get out, and only one of us did.

The thing is, the waves weren't that big, and I think with a little more determination I could have made it. But it would have exhausted me and for what? One ride, if I was lucky?

It would have involved ducking my head under the cold water eight or ten times, because there were no lulls.

I could have done it, probably; except that I'm still missing one critical point of technique; that is how,when going under the wave by lying on the board as my surf instructor taught me, not only to not get pushed back but to gain some distance. This, I don't remember how to do.

All I was doing today was staying in the same place and taking wave after wave on the head. It wasn't scary, and it wasn't difficult, but it sure wasn't fun and it sure wasn't surfing.

I have asked for a refresher surf lesson on getting out, but the guy said he won't be able to do it for months.

After an hour of this I thought, "I could be inside baking Christmas cookies." So I got out, and met the same guy who was getting all the rides before. I asked him to explain to me how he got out. He did, but not in a way that I could easily understand or translate to myself. Then he offered to help me time the paddle out. We started out together, and I saw him get creamed several times, but he kept going and eventually got out ahead of me while I was still struggling to stay in place.

I don't know how he did it, so I can't say I really learned anything from him, but I tried.

Then I went in and baked cookies. The other three guys were heading out again. Why they thought it would work this time when it hadn't worked for the last hour, I had no idea.

5 Comments:

At Monday, November 10, 2014 4:56:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

longchamp handbags, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton handbags, tiffany and co, burberry outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, tory burch outlet, true religion jeans, prada handbags, nike shoes, christian louboutin shoes, kate spade outlet, coach factory outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, louboutin, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, nike free, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses cheap, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, kate spade handbags, coach purses, coach outlet store online, oakley sunglasses, coach outlet, chanel handbags, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, jordan shoes, polo ralph lauren outlet, louboutin, longchamp handbags, air max, burberry outlet, louboutin outlet, air max, gucci outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:08:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

birkin bag, north face jackets, instyler, canada goose uk, chi flat iron, canada goose, abercrombie and fitch, bottega veneta, nike roshe run, ugg boots, marc jacobs, ugg australia, insanity workout, mcm handbags, ferragamo shoes, nike huarache, canada goose, canada goose, new balance shoes, rolex watches, north face outlet, lululemon outlet, babyliss pro, mac cosmetics, p90x, ugg pas cher, soccer jerseys, wedding dresses, moncler, beats by dre, hollister, canada goose jackets, ghd, ugg boots, vans shoes, reebok outlet, mont blanc, valentino shoes, jimmy choo outlet, herve leger, soccer shoes, giuseppe zanotti, nfl jerseys, asics running shoes, ugg, moncler outlet, moncler, moncler, celine handbags, uggs outlet, canada goose outlet, longchamp

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:27:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

parajumpers, pandora charms, moncler, vans, ugg, karen millen, ray ban, louboutin, hollister clothing store, pandora charms, thomas sabo, hollister, converse, montre homme, swarovski crystal, air max, coach outlet store online, wedding dresses, ralph lauren, canada goose, swarovski, lancel, converse shoes, oakley, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, louis vuitton, baseball bats, juicy couture outlet, gucci, pandora jewelry, iphone 6 cases, hollister, timberland boots, supra shoes, links of london, ugg, moncler, air max, rolex watches, canada goose, moncler

 
At Wednesday, September 16, 2015 6:11:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

15917meiqing
marc jacobs
ralph lauren uk
prada outlet
christian louboutin outlet
sac longchamp
coach outlet
hermes uk
prada
barbour uk
true religion outlet
ed hardy outlet
nike elite socks
fitflop uk
fake oakley sunglasses
canada goose jackets
michael kors handbags
coach outlet store online
timberland boots
burberry outlet
longchamp handbags
juicy couture
louis vuitton
nike tn
nike trainers
christian louboutin uk
insanity workout
air jordans
cheap jerseys
oakley sunglases cheap
timberland boots uk

 
At Wednesday, September 16, 2015 6:12:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

15917meiqing
ugg boots clearance
retro jordans
celine handbags
kate spade handbags
gucci
lebron james shoes
cheap oakleys
uggs on sale
ugg slippers
soccer shoes
pandora bracelets
kate spade uk
longchamp outlet
nike roshe run women
giuseppe zanotti sneakers
nike huarache trainers
ed hardy uk
air force 1
prada uk
kate spade
ray-ban sunglasses
toms outlet
timberland uk
polo outlet
ray bans
moncler outlet
ray ban sunglasses
adidas original trainers
mont blanc
replica watches

 

Post a Comment

<< Home