Monday, January 15, 2007

Sea Hags

For three days I was a wreck, then I had to get up and out of the house. I found I could be OK for short periods or at least act as if I were. Saturday I was back in the water for the first time since Tiny died. I offered up a prayer for her soul and then got a ride on the first wave I went for. It was good.

And the next day was good too. I did amazingly well.

A while back I wrote about the use of the term "Sea Hag" as a derogatory name for older women, one in particular. Sunday I got a look at the woman known around here as "Sea Hag" for the first time. She wasn't what I thought. She's younger than I am, not bad looking, not fat or ugly.

I asked one of the guys why everyone hates her. He said it's because she doesn't share waves, is territorial, has an attitude, is mean.

Well, that describes a good percentage of the 20-something male surfers on the beach, in particular many of those who live here. And all those qualities, far from making them hated, make them cool and popular in the eyes of the other guys. They are proud of being territorial and hating on people who don't live here and can't surf well, etc. etc. They are mean as shit and proud of it.

In other words, there is a sexist double standard here, and it applies tenfold to women past the age of "hot"ness. What's OK for men is put down, feared, hated in women. And no one's hated more than women past the age of sexual attractiveness who defiantly refuse to accept that they're over the hill.

Did I mention that she surfs really, really well? For any guy that skilled, whatever his age, there would be nothing but admiration, not approbation.

Older women cannot win. I'm hated because I can't surf, because I look like a bloody fool out in the water. I've often thought I would be respected if I could surf; but maybe I'd be hated even more.

Actually there's at least one other woman at our beach who surfs really well, is territorial, yells at other people, won't share waves, and is really mean; but she's young and sexy and wears bikinis, so no one calls her ugly names and she is very popular.

6 Comments:

At Friday, January 19, 2007 5:33:00 AM, Blogger Tillerman said...

I really don't understand why some surfers seem to be so mean -- especially to yourself and other older women. In my sport, Laser sailing, then sure it's the young guys (and some gals) who are the hotshots. But if an older person, male or female, is trying to learn the sport then practically everyone helps them and supports them and answers their questions and does everything they can to make them feel welcome.

I wonder if it's because in surfing, other people are just seen as annoyances who get in your way and steal "your" wave. Whereas in sailboat racing the attitude is that the more competitors on the racecourse, the more fun for everyone concerned.

 
At Friday, January 19, 2007 10:46:00 PM, Blogger Bunty said...

At last I found a blog to do with sailing/surfing on my wave length. I am mid 40's and the only woman out windsurfing here in Malta (Mediterranean) - there used to be more many years ago but for some reason marriage meant they had to stop. My babies (all 3 of them) were practically delivered on the beach and have remained there ever since!! As for the bikini bimbo....well maybe she will join the ranks of those who think marriage puts a stop to all the exciting stuff in life. If you would like to check out my blog please do - I shall now add yours to my favourites.
http://buntsblog.blogspot.com

 
At Tuesday, January 23, 2007 8:21:00 PM, Blogger Grandma said...

Lunasurf, which one are you...?

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 4:43:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

longchamp handbags, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton handbags, tiffany and co, burberry outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, tory burch outlet, true religion jeans, prada handbags, nike shoes, christian louboutin shoes, kate spade outlet, coach factory outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, louboutin, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, nike free, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses cheap, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, kate spade handbags, coach purses, coach outlet store online, oakley sunglasses, coach outlet, chanel handbags, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, jordan shoes, polo ralph lauren outlet, louboutin, longchamp handbags, air max, burberry outlet, louboutin outlet, air max, gucci outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:02:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

birkin bag, north face jackets, instyler, canada goose uk, chi flat iron, canada goose, abercrombie and fitch, bottega veneta, nike roshe run, ugg boots, marc jacobs, ugg australia, insanity workout, mcm handbags, ferragamo shoes, nike huarache, canada goose, canada goose, new balance shoes, rolex watches, north face outlet, lululemon outlet, babyliss pro, mac cosmetics, p90x, ugg pas cher, soccer jerseys, wedding dresses, moncler, beats by dre, hollister, canada goose jackets, ghd, ugg boots, vans shoes, reebok outlet, mont blanc, valentino shoes, jimmy choo outlet, herve leger, soccer shoes, giuseppe zanotti, nfl jerseys, asics running shoes, ugg, moncler outlet, moncler, moncler, celine handbags, uggs outlet, canada goose outlet, longchamp

 
At Friday, September 07, 2018 6:25:00 PM, Blogger 5689 said...

zzzzz2018.9.8
canada goose outlet
coach outlet
bottega veneta
issey miyake
hugo boss
coach outlet online
coach outlet
red bottom shoes
ralph lauren

 

Post a Comment

<< Home