Monday, August 17, 2009

Shortboard ride!

Finally, it's 90 degrees and feels like summer...finally. I am really trying to enjoy it. Long story short, this summer has just been unbearably stressful, full of dead ends, disappointment, and frustration (at least out of the water). To give you just one example, everything I own and rely on is now broken and nonfunctional: my computer, my printer, my backup computer, my stereo, my television, my DVD player, and my car. What are the odds of all these things breaking down at once? All needing replacement or major work and major $$$$? Oh yeah, and my shoulder. It needs major surgery to fix the pain I've had for nine months now.

What a difference from last summer, if you read a back a year. I can't imagine ever being that happy again. I can't see how I'll ever dig out of the current roadblock.

But enough of that. Because this is really a happy post. Yes.

Today I got my first ride on a shortboard!

It's not mine, I borrowed it. I think it's 6-2. The waves were choppy small crap. I haven't surfed for nearly two weeks. I was at the point of "just wanting to go in the water," really missing surfing, but also wondering (now that I know what's wrong with my shoulder) if it was worth paddling for virtually nothing.

I hadn't even brought my board to the beach, that's how flat it's been. My friend's board was there. I thought, what the hell. I expected nothing. I went in on a shortboard. It's only the second time I've ever tried one.

Well, it wasn't so hard to balance and paddle, and it wasn't so hard to catch the little sections of the knee high waves. I could catch a bunch. The problem, as I discovered the first time I tried a shortboard, is standing up. I already know it has to be fast, way faster than on a longboard. Today I also figured out that I need to catch the waves (at least these waves) way later than on a longboard.

There really is no time on a shortboard to think whether you have a stable platform for standing up; you just have to do it, I think, and take your chances.

Most of the times that I did that, I fell immediately. But at least I was getting to my feet, which exceeded my expectations for the session. I also realized that there really is great value and pleasure in "just getting in the water" on a board when you haven't been in for weeks, and it's 90 degrees and sunny. I was surprised at how much I was enjoying myself on shitty waves without getting rides.

Then somehow I got up and got one.

It didn't last long, but then no one was getting long rides today. I was on my feet, on a shortboard, and I went somewhere without falling.

My second time.

Wow, maybe some of the hardwon skills I've gotten on the longboard really do transfer. Wouldn't that be fun.

It's amazing how light the little board feels, how free I feel using it, how I am not afraid of getting clunked on the head with it (although of course I still could). It feels like nothing at all between me and the waves. I think I could really start to like it.

9 Comments:

At Monday, August 17, 2009 9:53:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Been following your blog and can't resist suggesting you should try acupuncture for your shoulder. If you need surgery, it won't fix that, but can help with the pain and help heal in the meantime if you can't stay out of the water. I went to acupuncture school in Hawaii and treated lots of surfers shoulders, so I know it can help. Look for a community clinic near you that has cheaper rates on communityacupuncturenetwork.org

 
At Wednesday, August 19, 2009 8:19:00 PM, Anonymous surfchick88 said...

6'2" wow that is short, how tall are you?

 
At Friday, August 21, 2009 2:19:00 PM, Blogger x said...

Love your blog. I'm 45 and still learning on my longboard. I'm also a writer. haven't published much, but I did survive the U of Iowa Writers' Workshop. You mentioned that you've published, and I would love to know the title(s). Please drop me a line if you would like to talk surf lit. I just finished Breath by Tim Winton, and it is fantastic.

Cheers!
chikonastik@gmail.com

 
At Saturday, August 22, 2009 7:13:00 AM, Blogger Grandma said...

I'm 5-8.

I am going to look into accupuncture.

 
At Monday, August 24, 2009 8:06:00 PM, Anonymous surfchick88 said...

Lol I am also 45 and am also a writer, what is it about writing and surfing?

 
At Monday, October 05, 2009 6:42:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just want to ask what do you mean by on a shortboard you need to catch the wave later? Do you mean that you sit further inside and wait til its practically breaking on you before you start to paddle? I ask because I just recently moved to a shortboard.

 
At Tuesday, October 20, 2009 8:12:00 PM, Blogger Grandma said...

Yeah, that's what I meant.

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:37:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

longchamp handbags, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton handbags, tiffany and co, burberry outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, tory burch outlet, true religion jeans, prada handbags, nike shoes, christian louboutin shoes, kate spade outlet, coach factory outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, louboutin, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, nike free, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses cheap, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, kate spade handbags, coach purses, coach outlet store online, oakley sunglasses, coach outlet, chanel handbags, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, jordan shoes, polo ralph lauren outlet, louboutin, longchamp handbags, air max, burberry outlet, louboutin outlet, air max, gucci outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:44:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

parajumpers, pandora charms, moncler, vans, ugg, karen millen, ray ban, louboutin, hollister clothing store, pandora charms, thomas sabo, hollister, converse, montre homme, swarovski crystal, air max, coach outlet store online, wedding dresses, ralph lauren, canada goose, swarovski, lancel, converse shoes, oakley, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, louis vuitton, baseball bats, juicy couture outlet, gucci, pandora jewelry, iphone 6 cases, hollister, timberland boots, supra shoes, links of london, ugg, moncler, air max, rolex watches, canada goose, moncler

 

Post a Comment

<< Home