Saturday, July 18, 2009

God Bless GPS: Or, The OTHER great summer pleasure

I am not surfing this weekend, though it's midsummer and midsummer surfing is one of life's great pleasures. But summer is brief and it's time to discover the OTHER great summer pleasure: the roadtrip. Yeah!

If there's anything better than setting off on a roadtrip, it's setting off on a roadtrip with GPS. I truly think this is one of the greatest inventions in the history of humankind. You can now truly go anywhere without planning in advance and can never get lost (for very long). Roadtrip perfected.

I like going places, but I just like driving in and of itself. Of course, the essential ingredient of a great summer drive is the soundtrack. And some of life's best moments are when road and music coalesce into an experience which transcends either of them by themselves. Great drives stay with you forever and are to be treasured. I've had quite a few and a couple already this summer.

Like the late-night, exhausted-from-sun-and-surfing drive from Santa Cruz to a little town I'd never heard of just outside of it, though a forest or what looked like one by the light of the moon, on a thrilingly winding and deserted road, the air cool and fragrant, listening to a CD I was hearing for the first time: Music for Drella by John Cale. Yeah, an old one but new to me, and with the pine trees and the moon it absolutely blew me away, it was so suited to the night and the whole day that had passed before it. I was going there to either sleep with or not sleep with a man who lived over a bar in this little town. The bar was something out of the 1950s movie and as far from hipster Santa Cruz as could be and I fell in love with it immediately. I ended up not sleeping with the man who lived above the bar with his dog and think it was the right decision even though I had and have decided for all practical purposes that at my age the word "No" should have no part in my vocabulary. And I will never say it again.

Or the drive this week that took me straight through a hailstorm so fierce that I had to pull off the road while hailstones exploded my car with such intensity and such noise that I feared they'd shatter the windshield; it was kind of like being inside an MRI magnified by a thousand and by fear. The rain came down in sheets and made me feel like the car was sliding away while it was parked and I could see nothing but slippery whiteness outside. And then it stopped and the sun came out and I started to drive again, looking for a rainbow and finding one, which makes any drive special. And the sky took on the hue that only comes after a violent storm, and the grass turned that extraterrestrial green of full summer, and there was haze on the river that ran alongside the road, and I said: I must remember this light, these colors, because it was like seeing a painting. And I had just gotten a Nina Simone CD and was listening to it, and it was a compilation of songs that had been recorded over many years but were all new to me, and one in particular I liked so much I played eight times in a row, because it was the perfect music for a day that had been pelted by a storm and washed clean and pure; nothing suited it like that voice. And I was glad to be on the road, many hours away from the ocean, headed in fact for Lake Ontario where there are no waves.




4 Comments:

At Sunday, July 26, 2009 4:44:00 PM, Blogger Surfing Grandma of OC said...

Hey Grandma gone surfing.. I am a Surfing Grandma too. 42 years old and just started surfing(if you can call it that) a lil over a week ago=-).. I was looking for women my age with the same interest..I too was thinking about Blogging.Then I found you here and thought .. WOW .. I am not alone..I am a "Kook" (surf term for begginer).. and interesting fact Nick name for my son Chris.I have read a few of your blogs...and you are an inspiration to me =-)I have been surfing all of 3 times,, and will go again my next day off work, which wont be till Friday.. I am hoping I will be able to actually catch a wave and stand =-)..don't get me wrong I have stood.. but not for long. By the time my brain registers I stood. I am off the board. Well look forward to reading more of your adventures. I will work on starting a blog myself and maybe you can read mine.
Michelle

 
At Tuesday, July 28, 2009 5:36:00 PM, Blogger Grandma said...

You go Michelle, if you have stood at all in one week you are way ahead of me! Don't give up no matter how long it takes.

 
At Wednesday, July 29, 2009 2:33:00 PM, Blogger Surfing Grandma of OC said...

Hey G.G.S..It is I Michelle, I thank you for your kind words of encouragement in regards to my attempting surfing. I started a blog.. under Surfing Grandma of OC. (Because that is what one of my hubby's young freinds called me). So I thought cool name.
Please check it out. You inspired me to blog =-)! So I hope you read it.
Michelle

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:39:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

birkin bag, north face jackets, instyler, canada goose uk, chi flat iron, canada goose, abercrombie and fitch, bottega veneta, nike roshe run, ugg boots, marc jacobs, ugg australia, insanity workout, mcm handbags, ferragamo shoes, nike huarache, canada goose, canada goose, new balance shoes, rolex watches, north face outlet, lululemon outlet, babyliss pro, mac cosmetics, p90x, ugg pas cher, soccer jerseys, wedding dresses, moncler, beats by dre, hollister, canada goose jackets, ghd, ugg boots, vans shoes, reebok outlet, mont blanc, valentino shoes, jimmy choo outlet, herve leger, soccer shoes, giuseppe zanotti, nfl jerseys, asics running shoes, ugg, moncler outlet, moncler, moncler, celine handbags, uggs outlet, canada goose outlet, longchamp

 

Post a Comment

<< Home