Friday, April 18, 2008

The myth of learning to surf (or, Where da popup go?)

Good waves were forecast for today. A miracle: not the waves, but that I managed to get up around 6:15. Folks, I didn't even know it got light that early. Well, it does. And I think I got in the water the earliest I've ever been, before 8:00. I know, I know. Some of you can wake up and roll onto the beach. I don't do nuthin' without my coffee and my breakfast. I'm very proud to be out before 8:00.

Do you get the sense of how I'm being set up for gigantic disappointment? Here it comes.

First, more setup. The waves actually deserve the word "glassy." They're medium-size but gentle. The water could even be called blue today. The sun's out. It's on its way to 75, the warmest day of the year.

Did I also mention that I have been practicing popups in my living room for months? I've incorporated them into my daily routine. Everyone's told me to do this and I am doing it. I have gotten very good at popups in my living room. I do them every day before breakfast. I think I have no popup issues anymore like the ones you can read about in my archives here.

Here it comes.

I get out, catch a wave, and...it's like I've never done a popup at all. I cannot think of what to do with my arms, legs, etc. There is a second where I try to coordinate all these things, and I can't. I do the knee on the board, ass in the air, try to make my hands let go of the board and fail, fall thing.

The waves are good. I can't blame the waves.

But I'm finding it hard to catch them. How can that be, when they are good?

Not catching them kinds of feeds on itself, so that when I do catch one, I'm so surprised that it takes me longer to react, which makes it harder to try to do the popup (I think; I've always thought there's some kind of window of opportunity that makes it easier if you catch it at just the right time, but no one has ever confirmed that, so what do I know), and I can't.

Once I got on The Ledge again, another phenomenon which no one has ever been able to explain to me, and so I couldn't even attempt to stand up because I knew there would be a drop. After the drop I try to stand but it's impossible.

In the end, I spend much more time underwater than on top of the water on this beautiful day with fine waves. I swallow much more water than I'm accustomed to. On one wipeout I'm under so long I actually open my eyes underwater, which I never do. From underneath, the water looks brown.

In short, it's one of those days when you're miserable and more so because you have to watch everyone around you having fun. About as enjoyable as working in the "service" industry. Have you ever done that? I have. Something about constantly watching other people enjoy themselves while you're working hard and having none (whether waitressing or trying to learn to surf) grates on your soul.

I'm wasting my time, not learning anything, not having fun. I think for the five hundred thousandth time about how "learning" is an absurd word to apply to surfing. There is no such thing. It is impossible to "learn" something that happens in one-fourth-second intervals, simply because the mind cannot set down in memory anything that happens so fast, and so cannot analyze, interpret, repeat or learn from it. Most of the time I don't even know what happens on a wave or attempted wave; I'm underwater with no sense of how I got there.

And yet the fact is that people do learn to surf. And they do learn on this very beach, under these very conditions. I think of a woman who started the same time I did and learned in about a year and has been enjoying surfing all kinds of boards and waves for four years, while for me it's still a challenge just to stand up.

How can this be explained?

Lest you think I'm just a complaining, retarded spaz, I just read something in Surfing magazine that says what I've been thinking all along.

From an article titled Can Surfing Be Taught:

"One key to surfing's inherent unteachability lies in the way in which the human brain processes information. That complicated chunk of gray matter deals with what your senses are throwing at it on a number of different levels. Most normal stuff is processed through the frontal lobes, resulting in a seemingly unconscious, yet learned response: the thing we tend to call instinct or gut reaction. When something complex is happening to you very quickly, however, a thing called limbic response, controlled by a brain structure called the thalamus, jumps into action. It's a lot quicker off the mark than the frontal lobe, and its activation brings about a shot of energizing hormones, and the famed fight-or-flight response...

In a complex surf situation, like a late drop in on a heavy wave, you're either going to have a fight-0r-flight reaction or you're going to override it and incorporate the adrenalin into a gut reaction. Lots of surfing happens in a blurry mixture of fight/flight and unconscious trained response...

Now, the way in which most forms of sports training gets around this bastard is through repetition. A tennis player, for instance, can stand in a certain place in the court and strike more or less the same ball, over and over again, hundreds of times, while the coach looks on. The trained, seemingly unconscious response is etched swiftly into the brain.

But this isn't available to surfers. We have to make do with riding experiences that are so fractured and scattered it's ridiculous. Next time you surf, count how many waves you actually catch. Count how many of them allow you to do something similar. Three? Five? Imagine a tennis player being asked to learn by hitting five balls a day...and by the way, only when the tennis balls decided to show up."

Yet to say surfing can't be taught is not to say it can't be learned, and learned well, because people do learn, and in less than the 20 years it seems it will take me just to figure out how to turn (by which time I will be well into my 60s, so why bother). Why?

And even the good ones seem to concur with me and Surfing about the ineffability of it all.

To quote V., a male surfer of my age who has been doing it a long time and is very good:
"It's day-to-day."

13 Comments:

At Thursday, April 07, 2011 9:53:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad I found your post, I am 43 and learning to surf for about 6 months. Its is heaps of fun but I have wiped out alot! I am living by the beach in Australia and decided to go to a surf school to start with, made a few friends and having a ball. I look forward to veiwing your adventures regularly - good luck and enjoy!

 
At Thursday, April 07, 2011 9:53:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad I found your post, I am 43 and learning to surf for about 6 months. Its is heaps of fun but I have wiped out alot! I am living by the beach in Australia and decided to go to a surf school to start with, made a few friends and having a ball. I look forward to veiwing your adventures regularly - good luck and enjoy!

 
At Monday, April 18, 2011 4:20:00 AM, Blogger Miranda said...

So great, I am glad I am not the only surfing 'over 40' female. I learnt to surf (sort of) in the early to mid 90's. I haven't surfed now for more than 10 years and have gained weight and have a bad back! However, a recent move to Mallorca in Spain has prompted me to 'sort it out', loose the lbs (which I am doing) and get back on my boards. I found a surfing beach about an hours drive away from me, so here's hoping. I hate that there are few women surfers and even rarer still - over 40 and still learning.. Keep it up, it's such a buzz.

 
At Sunday, September 18, 2011 5:18:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How true!!
I'm also 43 y.o., female and relearning to surf again!
It's wonderful to be back in the water ... had to get a new wettie and bigger board , due to a decade fondness for chocolate.

 
At Tuesday, April 24, 2012 8:24:00 AM, Blogger Me said...

I love that I stumbled onto this blog. I turned 40 this past year, and am determined to learn to surf (again). I took lessons in the 90s, took some trips to central america to various surf school thru the 2000s, but was sidelined but a back injury in 2010. I decided that 2012 is my make or break year(no pun intended). I too had to purchase a new wetsuit... so I can still breathe without tearing something! I am taking a trip down the coast of NC/SC as a jump start... Hopefully, I will meet some more over 40s in the lineup!

 
At Tuesday, January 22, 2013 2:28:00 AM, Anonymous Cherise said...

I had my first ever surf lesson today - I'm 46 (although i like to say I'm 43!) It was so hard, low tide, waves were dumping...then suddenly found myself kneeling(not sure how that happened though as I wasn't aiming to do that), eventually I got 2 feet on the board, but no standing...heck the fins were already scraping the sand by the time I got the feet on!! My 8y/o son having much better success. Oh well I'll keep trying maybe I'll get there one day...

 
At Tuesday, January 22, 2013 4:53:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,
Well I'm a 45yo male this year and my son turns 13 and he loves surfing. The last time I surfed I was 20 and was not very good but was getting up.
Im a lot heavier now but IM BACK just realised how much I love and haves missed this sport so I'm buying a Mini Mal and am goin to get out there and give it a go.
See you at Lorne and Torquay
Good Luck to all us over 40's Keep it up!!!!!
CL

 
At Wednesday, March 06, 2013 4:31:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My programmer is trying to persuade me to move to .net from PHP.
I have always disliked the idea because of the expenses.
But he's tryiong none the less. I've been using WordPress on various
websites for about a year and am concerned about switching to another platform.
I have heard good things about blogengine.net. Is there
a way I can import all my wordpress posts into it? Any
help would be really appreciated!

My site - computer

 
At Friday, May 31, 2013 2:20:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Do you use Twitter? I'd like to follow you if that would be okay. I'm undoubtedly enjoying your blog and
look forward to new posts.

My blog cough

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 4:45:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

longchamp handbags, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton handbags, tiffany and co, burberry outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, tory burch outlet, true religion jeans, prada handbags, nike shoes, christian louboutin shoes, kate spade outlet, coach factory outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, louboutin, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, nike free, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses cheap, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, kate spade handbags, coach purses, coach outlet store online, oakley sunglasses, coach outlet, chanel handbags, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, jordan shoes, polo ralph lauren outlet, louboutin, longchamp handbags, air max, burberry outlet, louboutin outlet, air max, gucci outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:12:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

birkin bag, north face jackets, instyler, canada goose uk, chi flat iron, canada goose, abercrombie and fitch, bottega veneta, nike roshe run, ugg boots, marc jacobs, ugg australia, insanity workout, mcm handbags, ferragamo shoes, nike huarache, canada goose, canada goose, new balance shoes, rolex watches, north face outlet, lululemon outlet, babyliss pro, mac cosmetics, p90x, ugg pas cher, soccer jerseys, wedding dresses, moncler, beats by dre, hollister, canada goose jackets, ghd, ugg boots, vans shoes, reebok outlet, mont blanc, valentino shoes, jimmy choo outlet, herve leger, soccer shoes, giuseppe zanotti, nfl jerseys, asics running shoes, ugg, moncler outlet, moncler, moncler, celine handbags, uggs outlet, canada goose outlet, longchamp

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:19:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

parajumpers, pandora charms, moncler, vans, ugg, karen millen, ray ban, louboutin, hollister clothing store, pandora charms, thomas sabo, hollister, converse, montre homme, swarovski crystal, air max, coach outlet store online, wedding dresses, ralph lauren, canada goose, swarovski, lancel, converse shoes, oakley, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, louis vuitton, baseball bats, juicy couture outlet, gucci, pandora jewelry, iphone 6 cases, hollister, timberland boots, supra shoes, links of london, ugg, moncler, air max, rolex watches, canada goose, moncler

 
At Monday, October 19, 2015 8:55:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

20151020 junda
Coach Factory Handbags Outlet Store
nfl jerseys
coach canada
Michael Kors Outlet Deals Online
Abercrombie and Fitch Outlet Sale
louis vuitton outlet
Michael Kors Outlet Real Handbags Online
Jordan 6 Rings Powder Blue
michael kors outlet
louis vuitton handbags
cheap uggs
cheap toms shoes
coach factory outlet
Louis Vuitton Outlet USA
ralph lauren uk
ugg boots
Discount Ray Ban Polarized Sunglasses
Ugg Boots,Ugg Boots Outlet,Ugg Outlet,Cheap Uggs,Uggs On Sale,Ugg Boots Clearance,Uggs For Women
ugg boots
air max 95,nike golf,nike janoski,air max 1,nike canada,nike plus,nike shox,nike factory store
coach outlet
ugg boots clearance
coach outlet online
Michael Kors Outlet Handbags Factory Price
Louis Vuitton Handbags Factory Store
Michael Kors Outlet Sale Clearance
coach factory outlet
ugg boots australia
canada goose jackets
louis vuitton outlet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home