Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Perfect summer day

I'm down to the wire with editing my book, and I hate that this is happening in the summer! It means saying no to sunny days on the beach and warm waves. I keep telling myself it's almost over. But summer, to me, is a sacrament and I've always felt like spending a beach day inside is a sin.

In a week I'll either get the book in and head straight for the nearest bar, or get an extension of three months and head straight for the nearest bar. I will drink more if it's the former.

Today was the kind of day I don't want to miss again. I took a stack of chapters out on the beach to proofread. It was too hot to sit for very long, though, so I had to keep cooling off in the water. Our water is not always beautiful, but today it was; clear enough to see the little fishes darting at your feet, blue like you were in the Caribbean somewhere.

The waves grew better hour by hour and by midafternoon I just had to go get my board. I've had a session or two lately I didn't even bother writing about, it was that bad. But today on these little waves I did great. I had friendly encouragement from F. in this almost all-guys line-up, and it really helped. He hasn't been surfing long, and sometimes he helps me figure it out. Sometimes a word or two is all it takes. I made my takeoffs, didn't pearl (maybe because of being further forward on the board) and got up earlier than usual. So I had the feeling like, Oh, that's how it's supposed to be, that I got in my surf lessons. And once I was up I could balance and at least try to steer the board.

As he pointed out, I'm still not doing the popup. Maybe I never will. I keep dragging my back foot and had quite a hole in the front of it to show for it. It took forever to heal and I can't rip it up again.

This turned into one of those fun sessions where you don't think cause you're just having fun. I had a few thoughts, but I just dismissed them. I didn't even want to get out of the water but finally the "I'm hungry" thought became overwhelming.

Still, I had to hang out on the boardwalk for a while because D. had seen me and had good things to say. I can't remember when I've had a performance that he saw that I was proud of, practically never, so that was very satisfying. He told me I should start working on my turns. Yeah, that's the point I was at a month ago, before I started going backwards. It's never forward linear movement with my surfing. It's get better, go back two years, then a month or two later work up to doing better again.

If there was any downside to today, it was L., who I saw in the water for the first time. Forgive me for sounding like an idiot and not someone old and wise enough to be a Grandma, but what is it with guys who are all over you one day and then the next time you see them they act like they never saw you before? I just don't get that, and I never will, but I can't worry about it.

Pretty much a perfect summer day. I want more.

3 Comments:

At Monday, November 10, 2014 4:44:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

longchamp handbags, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton handbags, tiffany and co, burberry outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, tory burch outlet, true religion jeans, prada handbags, nike shoes, christian louboutin shoes, kate spade outlet, coach factory outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, louboutin, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, nike free, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses cheap, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, kate spade handbags, coach purses, coach outlet store online, oakley sunglasses, coach outlet, chanel handbags, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, jordan shoes, polo ralph lauren outlet, louboutin, longchamp handbags, air max, burberry outlet, louboutin outlet, air max, gucci outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:04:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

birkin bag, north face jackets, instyler, canada goose uk, chi flat iron, canada goose, abercrombie and fitch, bottega veneta, nike roshe run, ugg boots, marc jacobs, ugg australia, insanity workout, mcm handbags, ferragamo shoes, nike huarache, canada goose, canada goose, new balance shoes, rolex watches, north face outlet, lululemon outlet, babyliss pro, mac cosmetics, p90x, ugg pas cher, soccer jerseys, wedding dresses, moncler, beats by dre, hollister, canada goose jackets, ghd, ugg boots, vans shoes, reebok outlet, mont blanc, valentino shoes, jimmy choo outlet, herve leger, soccer shoes, giuseppe zanotti, nfl jerseys, asics running shoes, ugg, moncler outlet, moncler, moncler, celine handbags, uggs outlet, canada goose outlet, longchamp

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:22:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

parajumpers, pandora charms, moncler, vans, ugg, karen millen, ray ban, louboutin, hollister clothing store, pandora charms, thomas sabo, hollister, converse, montre homme, swarovski crystal, air max, coach outlet store online, wedding dresses, ralph lauren, canada goose, swarovski, lancel, converse shoes, oakley, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, louis vuitton, baseball bats, juicy couture outlet, gucci, pandora jewelry, iphone 6 cases, hollister, timberland boots, supra shoes, links of london, ugg, moncler, air max, rolex watches, canada goose, moncler

 

Post a Comment

<< Home