Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Big wave day

Today I was scheduled for another surf lesson, hoping to work on my turns. But as of 10 a.m. the waves were chest to head high, bigger than they have been in months, and the surf instructor was having too much fun to come out of the water for a lesson. We cancelled the lesson by mutual consent and she encouraged me to come out anyway even though I was daunted.

I spent about an hour hanging out in the shorebreak like an idiot while all the local good surfers---the ones you'll never see in the two foot glop---materialized as if by magic. The big sets kept coming without much of a lull and I hadn't done turtle diving for so long, I was just about paralyzed thinking I couldn't do it. I kept telling myself to just try it on the small insiders to build confidence, but it was so shallow there I was actually scared of banging my head on the bottom of the ocean, as stupid as that sounds. Is it stupid not to want to go underneath your surfboard and get pounded by a wave in two feet of water? Finally I got cold and came in for a while. I was so demoralized I had a bit of a cry. But I couldn't let myself give up.

I went back to the house to get a wetsuit and some water, came back out and it was a whole new ballgame. The sun had come out and the waves had gone down a notch, or so it seemed. Just like that. I had no trouble getting out now and everything looked different with the sun on it. The waves were now within my comfort level (on the high end.) I caught one, didn't get up, went back out, a little struggle but now I remembered my turtle dives. Turns out these were fake out waves that weren't as big as they looked. By now the cell phone calls from the beach had resulted in 25 people in the lineup. When I got a good wave there were four people in my way, but somehow they got out of the way and I was able to stand up and get a good ride. Four hours after I first hit the beach, my confidence was restored. Of course, by that time I was so exhausted I had to go in.

3 Comments:

At Monday, November 10, 2014 4:43:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

longchamp handbags, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton handbags, tiffany and co, burberry outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, tory burch outlet, true religion jeans, prada handbags, nike shoes, christian louboutin shoes, kate spade outlet, coach factory outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, louboutin, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, nike free, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses cheap, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, kate spade handbags, coach purses, coach outlet store online, oakley sunglasses, coach outlet, chanel handbags, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, jordan shoes, polo ralph lauren outlet, louboutin, longchamp handbags, air max, burberry outlet, louboutin outlet, air max, gucci outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:01:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

birkin bag, north face jackets, instyler, canada goose uk, chi flat iron, canada goose, abercrombie and fitch, bottega veneta, nike roshe run, ugg boots, marc jacobs, ugg australia, insanity workout, mcm handbags, ferragamo shoes, nike huarache, canada goose, canada goose, new balance shoes, rolex watches, north face outlet, lululemon outlet, babyliss pro, mac cosmetics, p90x, ugg pas cher, soccer jerseys, wedding dresses, moncler, beats by dre, hollister, canada goose jackets, ghd, ugg boots, vans shoes, reebok outlet, mont blanc, valentino shoes, jimmy choo outlet, herve leger, soccer shoes, giuseppe zanotti, nfl jerseys, asics running shoes, ugg, moncler outlet, moncler, moncler, celine handbags, uggs outlet, canada goose outlet, longchamp

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:15:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

parajumpers, pandora charms, moncler, vans, ugg, karen millen, ray ban, louboutin, hollister clothing store, pandora charms, thomas sabo, hollister, converse, montre homme, swarovski crystal, air max, coach outlet store online, wedding dresses, ralph lauren, canada goose, swarovski, lancel, converse shoes, oakley, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, louis vuitton, baseball bats, juicy couture outlet, gucci, pandora jewelry, iphone 6 cases, hollister, timberland boots, supra shoes, links of london, ugg, moncler, air max, rolex watches, canada goose, moncler

 

Post a Comment

<< Home