Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Surfing's better with no waves

Little kid on the beach: "You know that pointy black part on the surfboard? Is that supposed to go up or down?"
Me: "Down."
Kid to other kid: "See! I told you!"
Other kid: "There's no waves today."
Me: "See, kid, that's when you want to surf. It's better when there's no waves."

After those miserable last days/posts, I had about decided to quit. I would write about how I was not so much giving up as permanently stuck, unable to find the answers to surfing's eternal questions (though bless those of you who've tried to help). I was simply unable to go on. Signing off.

I may still write that post, but not today. With all those thoughts in my head, I somehow found myself on the train heading to the beach. The impetus for this was Surfline's afternoon forecast: Flat. No waves. That, I thought, I might be able to handle.

I get there and it's warm as summer, sunny, gorgeous. The tiniest little lines, beautifully formed, are coming through. Wavelets! The water's actually blue, a rare occurrence here. I suit up in my 6/4 in 70 degrees. Tide's dead low. Believe it or not, there is one other guy out. He's getting rides on the ankle slappers. Lots of them.

As I'm getting into my suit I see someone waving to me from the boardwalk. It's C.! I'm mortified. I can't surf with him watching me! But I'll try.

Paddle out? Nonexistent. You can just stand in waist high water waiting for the tiny wavelets and they are coming reliably. Hard to catch? No, hard to miss.

I don't know what it is. Maybe it's my complete lack of fear in the tiny waves. Maybe it's the utter lack of power of these waves. Maybe it's just that I have competely and uncharacteristically shut down the thinking part of my brain. It hurts from all the thinking about what to do with my knees, my hands, my feet, my back, so I have shut it down and am just doing without thinking. I don't know if what I'm trying is right or wrong. I don't want to know. The first few waves, I screw up. But then I start getting up somehow, and I am riding. I do this again and again. I stall out before reaching the beach, but I am up for five or six seconds. C. is cheering me on from the boardwalk. And for the first time in ages, I'm actually having fun.

After a while he comes down to the water and I get out (very casually) to talk to him. He tells me how great I'm doing. (Although his sober assessment of the waves is "less than knee high.")We have the longest talk we've ever had. Now that the hoods and jackets are off I can see that he no longer has his _________, alas, but he's still ________. He says, "You can't learn this all by yourself." That is a thought I've had about 3000 times but hearing someone else say it makes it true. (The topic of the execrable quality of "surf instruction", what little of it there purports to be---and there isn't any in this town---shall be the topic of a subsequent post one day.) I say I haven't had anyone to help me. He says he'll help me. I hope so!

Apparently his knees are just as bad as mine. He can't bend down more than halfway, not into a crouch like the surfer we're watching is doing. I've noticed when I watched C. surf that he gets up more slowly than most people. Yet he can still surf well, and is respected by the surf mafia out here.

Bad knees was going to be Reason #2 when I wrote my final post on why I have to give up trying to surf.

Since we've got that in common, seems like he'd be the perfect instructor. So then he offers again, and I say "I don't have your number," and he gives it to me right there and tells me to call him.

Then I go back into the water and catch more wavelets. I don't get up on all of them, and I don't ride all the ones I get up on, but I ride many.

I'm exhilarated. I think I have found the solution to my surfing problems: Only go out when there are no waves and success is guaranteed.

6 Comments:

At Monday, November 10, 2014 4:48:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

longchamp handbags, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton handbags, tiffany and co, burberry outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, tory burch outlet, true religion jeans, prada handbags, nike shoes, christian louboutin shoes, kate spade outlet, coach factory outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, louboutin, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, nike free, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses cheap, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, kate spade handbags, coach purses, coach outlet store online, oakley sunglasses, coach outlet, chanel handbags, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, jordan shoes, polo ralph lauren outlet, louboutin, longchamp handbags, air max, burberry outlet, louboutin outlet, air max, gucci outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 4:59:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

birkin bag, north face jackets, instyler, canada goose uk, chi flat iron, canada goose, abercrombie and fitch, bottega veneta, nike roshe run, ugg boots, marc jacobs, ugg australia, insanity workout, mcm handbags, ferragamo shoes, nike huarache, canada goose, canada goose, new balance shoes, rolex watches, north face outlet, lululemon outlet, babyliss pro, mac cosmetics, p90x, ugg pas cher, soccer jerseys, wedding dresses, moncler, beats by dre, hollister, canada goose jackets, ghd, ugg boots, vans shoes, reebok outlet, mont blanc, valentino shoes, jimmy choo outlet, herve leger, soccer shoes, giuseppe zanotti, nfl jerseys, asics running shoes, ugg, moncler outlet, moncler, moncler, celine handbags, uggs outlet, canada goose outlet, longchamp

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:20:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

parajumpers, pandora charms, moncler, vans, ugg, karen millen, ray ban, louboutin, hollister clothing store, pandora charms, thomas sabo, hollister, converse, montre homme, swarovski crystal, air max, coach outlet store online, wedding dresses, ralph lauren, canada goose, swarovski, lancel, converse shoes, oakley, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, louis vuitton, baseball bats, juicy couture outlet, gucci, pandora jewelry, iphone 6 cases, hollister, timberland boots, supra shoes, links of london, ugg, moncler, air max, rolex watches, canada goose, moncler

 
At Sunday, January 03, 2016 10:27:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

gucci handbags, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, burberry handbags, chanel handbags, christian louboutin outlet, oakley sunglasses, tiffany and co, oakley sunglasses, tiffany jewelry, christian louboutin, longchamp outlet, longchamp outlet, ugg boots, louis vuitton, michael kors outlet online, uggs on sale, christian louboutin uk, nike air max, louis vuitton outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet online, uggs outlet, tory burch outlet, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, burberry outlet, nike air max, oakley sunglasses wholesale, ugg boots, michael kors outlet online, kate spade outlet, uggs outlet, replica watches, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet online, longchamp outlet, polo outlet, michael kors outlet online, prada handbags, nike free, replica watches, louis vuitton outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, nike outlet, louis vuitton

 
At Sunday, January 03, 2016 10:28:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

hollister pas cher, jordan pas cher, true religion outlet, lululemon canada, mulberry uk, michael kors, sac longchamp pas cher, nike roshe, nike air max, timberland pas cher, converse pas cher, longchamp pas cher, kate spade, air max, ray ban uk, nike air max uk, sac hermes, sac vanessa bruno, north face uk, polo ralph lauren, north face, michael kors, true religion jeans, ray ban pas cher, nike air force, michael kors outlet, guess pas cher, nike roshe run uk, michael kors pas cher, vans pas cher, coach purses, true religion outlet, ralph lauren uk, coach outlet, abercrombie and fitch uk, replica handbags, coach outlet store online, louboutin pas cher, hollister uk, oakley pas cher, burberry pas cher, nike tn, polo lacoste, nike free uk, nike air max uk, nike blazer pas cher, true religion outlet, hogan outlet, new balance, nike free run

 
At Sunday, January 03, 2016 10:30:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

swarovski, montre pas cher, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, canada goose outlet, canada goose outlet, converse outlet, ugg pas cher, louis vuitton, moncler, canada goose, hollister, gucci, converse, supra shoes, nike air max, ray ban, louis vuitton, canada goose, louis vuitton, canada goose jackets, pandora charms, moncler outlet, vans, moncler, louis vuitton, replica watches, karen millen uk, louis vuitton, pandora jewelry, juicy couture outlet, doke gabbana, moncler outlet, hollister, canada goose outlet, thomas sabo, pandora jewelry, wedding dresses, marc jacobs, barbour uk, ugg, lancel, swarovski crystal, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, pandora uk, canada goose, juicy couture outlet, moncler uk, canada goose uk, toms shoes, ugg uk, links of london, coach outlet, barbour

 

Post a Comment

<< Home