Saturday, February 18, 2006

Busted!

Yesterday I saw a window of opportunity and I took it. I hadn't planned to surf because I knew I wouldn't be able to leave my house until 2 PM, which would get me to the beach very late. Probably too late for a good session. But: it was another sunny springlike 60-degree day in mid-winter, and I haven't taken advantage of any of them; the forecast for today was head-high waves; I'd been asked, unexpectedly, to look in on K.'s cat at the beach house. All these things added up to a decision to just go.

The subway gods were with me and I made it from my front door to suited up and in the water in two hours---a new world's record.

So the suit's been baptized by water and other liquids. It kept me toasty warm until it got dark.

I was fairly pleased with my performance. There were at least three waves that I stood up on, and if I didn't ride them all the way to the beach, it was more because the waves ran out of power than because of anything I did (I think). But there were also at least three waves that I took off perfectly on but couldn't get up on. I couldn't get my feet in the right spot. On one I did stand, and the nose went down (not under) and I fell off forwards. I don't know why that happened, but it must have been because I didn't have enough weight on the back of my board----right? Usually if I fall when I'm already standing up, I fall backwards.

Overnight the wind picked up so much I could feel it shaking the house. I know that sounds weird, but I swear I felt the house shake through the floorboards. But the morning was sunny and almost like summer, the waves were small, and I almost went out. It was windy and choppy, but there were definitely rideable waves. With the sun and the warmth it might have been OK---but the wind was 30-40 MPH. Even at nearly sixty degrees, I thought I'd get cold out there pretty quickly. It was blowing offshore and I couldn't see spending two hours with those winds in my face. No one else was out. I could've done it and it might have been OK, but I decided not to.

As has been pointed out by others, the Surfline forecaster for Rockaway seems to be on crack half the time. Or at least he's highly unreliable. The forecasted head high waves were only two feet.

The next day it turned back to winter.

Oh...the busted thing? On the way back from the beach house, a cop saw me carrying my dog on the subway. "Miss? Step out of the car please." "Who me?" For the first time in 15 1/2 years of taking my dog (who weighs ten pounds) on the train, I got busted. The fuzz wrote me up a ticket for not having my dog in a carrier. $25 fine. Yeah, I knew you're not allowed to bring dogs on the subway. But getting busted once in fifteen and a half years is pretty good odds.

3 Comments:

At Monday, November 10, 2014 4:48:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

longchamp handbags, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton handbags, tiffany and co, burberry outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, tory burch outlet, true religion jeans, prada handbags, nike shoes, christian louboutin shoes, kate spade outlet, coach factory outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, louboutin, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, nike free, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses cheap, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, kate spade handbags, coach purses, coach outlet store online, oakley sunglasses, coach outlet, chanel handbags, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, jordan shoes, polo ralph lauren outlet, louboutin, longchamp handbags, air max, burberry outlet, louboutin outlet, air max, gucci outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 4:59:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

birkin bag, north face jackets, instyler, canada goose uk, chi flat iron, canada goose, abercrombie and fitch, bottega veneta, nike roshe run, ugg boots, marc jacobs, ugg australia, insanity workout, mcm handbags, ferragamo shoes, nike huarache, canada goose, canada goose, new balance shoes, rolex watches, north face outlet, lululemon outlet, babyliss pro, mac cosmetics, p90x, ugg pas cher, soccer jerseys, wedding dresses, moncler, beats by dre, hollister, canada goose jackets, ghd, ugg boots, vans shoes, reebok outlet, mont blanc, valentino shoes, jimmy choo outlet, herve leger, soccer shoes, giuseppe zanotti, nfl jerseys, asics running shoes, ugg, moncler outlet, moncler, moncler, celine handbags, uggs outlet, canada goose outlet, longchamp

 
At Sunday, January 03, 2016 10:25:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

swarovski, montre pas cher, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, canada goose outlet, canada goose outlet, converse outlet, ugg pas cher, louis vuitton, moncler, canada goose, hollister, gucci, converse, supra shoes, nike air max, ray ban, louis vuitton, canada goose, louis vuitton, canada goose jackets, pandora charms, moncler outlet, vans, moncler, louis vuitton, replica watches, karen millen uk, louis vuitton, pandora jewelry, juicy couture outlet, doke gabbana, moncler outlet, hollister, canada goose outlet, thomas sabo, pandora jewelry, wedding dresses, marc jacobs, barbour uk, ugg, lancel, swarovski crystal, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, pandora uk, canada goose, juicy couture outlet, moncler uk, canada goose uk, toms shoes, ugg uk, links of london, coach outlet, barbour

 

Post a Comment

<< Home