Thursday, January 07, 2010

Composite makeup post

Can it really be true that I posted nothing this December? Obviously it is. All I can say is that I have been overwhelmed with work, and a surf trip was cancelled. I had a deadline right after New Year's, and I was willing to give up some surfing to meet it, but honestly there weren't all that many surf days. It was either flat or huge or freezing cold or some combination of those. For a week or more I was too busy to even look out the window at the surf. And stressed. Majorly stressed.

So I will just note that I took advantage of every surf day I could, and that made me think about how much I missed surfing, and what lengths I will go to to get waves.

Am I addicted to surfing in the way some guys are? It can't be, because being an addict involves getting doses of adrenaline and all those chemicals that happen when you really surf in real waves, and I never get that. So what is it? I definitely don't feel right when I don't surf for a long time. What is it, exactly, that I'm missing? Gotta wonder about that...

Deprived of waves for three weeks, I ventured out in a blizzard, ignored the naysayers who jeered at me to "stay inside," and made it out and back in overhead waves safely and without fear. I didn't ride any, but I paddled for the smaller (head high) ones.

And then a Christmas Eve surprise of tiny little peelers with several people out. We surfed until the sun went down on the brilliant day. The water was surprisingly cold and I froze despite the sun and light winds but didn't want to go in. I surfed with a friend I hadn't seen in a while who just happened to be there. "Have you got hot chocolate at your house?" he asked as the sun got lower. I didn't, but I did have champagne and cookies, and we toasted the holiday.

Christmas morning was gray, sideshore, with just two boys out who had probably gotten their first boards for Christmas and were missing every wave. Later it got bigger and choppier. I got wet but no rides.

And then New Year's Day was beautiful and warmish, with a crowd. I went for the bigger waves and got them, and the photographer on the beach got a photo of me riding a wave more than ankle high, a first in my life! It was at least four feet. Similarly, the young woman on the blue and green striped board, a novice who I'd watched for a while, got a nearly head high ride and her astonishment and pride was in her posture and her face and the way she ran up to the photographer afterward to make sure he'd gotten the pic!

I think he later lost the pictures of both of us! Because I haven't received mine.

Trust me: There does, did, exist a picture of me really looking like a surfer. Once, on New Year's Day 2010.

8 Comments:

At Friday, January 08, 2010 8:55:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Exclusive delirium, in my opinion


I suggest you to visit a site on which there is a lot of information on a theme interesting you. Hot Health

 
At Friday, January 08, 2010 1:54:00 PM, Blogger Julie said...

"It was either flat or huge or freezing cold or some combination of those." You described the conditions in Dec perfectly. Thank you for summing it up!

 
At Monday, January 11, 2010 5:57:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so great! I really hope you find that picture and post it! I am in huge fear of big waves. Congrats to you for your progress. And I know what you mean about not feeling "right" when you haven't surfed in a while. I've gone about 9 days without and I definitely feel out of sorts.

 
At Tuesday, January 12, 2010 12:21:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey All
I'm emailing from Toronto Canada from a Casting Company Called Jigsaw Casting. We are actually casting for Surfer Woman age 40 years and over and im sure you can tell that this is not easy. Would any o you happen to know any woman in Canada over 40 who are surfer woman?
If so, please have them email us at Jigsaw
info@jigsawcasting.com
We would some footage of them in action surfing.
Cheers
Diana Ricci
Jigsaw Casting Ltd.
416 360 0336

 
At Tuesday, January 12, 2010 5:59:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Expand your range to the US and you will get lots of people including me!

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:35:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

longchamp handbags, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton handbags, tiffany and co, burberry outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, tory burch outlet, true religion jeans, prada handbags, nike shoes, christian louboutin shoes, kate spade outlet, coach factory outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, louboutin, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, nike free, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses cheap, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, kate spade handbags, coach purses, coach outlet store online, oakley sunglasses, coach outlet, chanel handbags, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, jordan shoes, polo ralph lauren outlet, louboutin, longchamp handbags, air max, burberry outlet, louboutin outlet, air max, gucci outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:43:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

birkin bag, north face jackets, instyler, canada goose uk, chi flat iron, canada goose, abercrombie and fitch, bottega veneta, nike roshe run, ugg boots, marc jacobs, ugg australia, insanity workout, mcm handbags, ferragamo shoes, nike huarache, canada goose, canada goose, new balance shoes, rolex watches, north face outlet, lululemon outlet, babyliss pro, mac cosmetics, p90x, ugg pas cher, soccer jerseys, wedding dresses, moncler, beats by dre, hollister, canada goose jackets, ghd, ugg boots, vans shoes, reebok outlet, mont blanc, valentino shoes, jimmy choo outlet, herve leger, soccer shoes, giuseppe zanotti, nfl jerseys, asics running shoes, ugg, moncler outlet, moncler, moncler, celine handbags, uggs outlet, canada goose outlet, longchamp

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:44:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

parajumpers, pandora charms, moncler, vans, ugg, karen millen, ray ban, louboutin, hollister clothing store, pandora charms, thomas sabo, hollister, converse, montre homme, swarovski crystal, air max, coach outlet store online, wedding dresses, ralph lauren, canada goose, swarovski, lancel, converse shoes, oakley, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, louis vuitton, baseball bats, juicy couture outlet, gucci, pandora jewelry, iphone 6 cases, hollister, timberland boots, supra shoes, links of london, ugg, moncler, air max, rolex watches, canada goose, moncler

 

Post a Comment

<< Home