Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanks for the waves

Thanksgiving morning, you don't need a brain to know the water's going to be crowded. Especially if it's 55 degrees and the waves are good. And they were.

Just as I got out the sun appeared, casting that light over the water that you only get in the morning, and painting the water such a beautiful blue-gray.

I didn't feel like going for the jetty today, not just because the waves were so good I didn't really need to, but because of what I saw. The jocks were all piled on top of each other and going four or five at once for the same wave. Not just going for them figuring the others wouldn't make it, but they went knowing pretty damn well they were all going to make it and meaning to surf it together. I mean, they were literally surfing on top of each other. In typical surf jock fashion they hooted and hollered happily (a couple who rode in literally rail to rail jumped off their boards smiling and yelling "Happy Thanksgiving!" to each other) even though they were inches away from dying or being seriously injured. I have to think that these guys all knew each other and knew their skill levels---I mean, I have to think that, if only because as far as I know no one got killed today! It surely does take a high level of skill to take off right next to someone and not hit/get hit by them. I did not belong among that crowd today.

When I was at the jetty last time I remember a guy yelling me off a wave when I was a safe distance away from him. Yeah, we were on the same wave but we weren't even gonna come close to hitting each other, even at my skill level. And then when I see what I saw today, I know I wasn't breaching any written or unwritten rule of surf etiquette or doing anything others don't do; he was just yelling at me because he didn't know me and didn't want me near him on "his" wave. Or maybe because I'm a woman. Who knows.

I did do some early popups again today and fall off when trying to make the drop. I saw D. in the water and asked him about what Always Smiling Asian Guy said. Should I stand up at the top of the wave of the bottom? D. said "It depends" which seemed like a good answer. He said, not too soon but not too late. Not at the bottom but not at the top. Yeah. That makes sense.

So, I worked on not getting up too early, and on really thinking about and trying to remember what I do after the popup, which as D. always says is the important thing.

When I got out of the water I got compliments from my other former surf coach (now I can't remember what initial I gave him if any, but it doesn't matter) and another veteran surfer about my progress. People are noticing that I'm getting good.

9 Comments:

At Friday, November 27, 2009 7:48:00 AM, Blogger Jolea said...

YAY!!!! Happy Thanksgiving! Keep up the good work!

 
At Saturday, November 28, 2009 3:00:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to see a 40 something girl surfer stoked on surfing. I'm 43 and have been surfing over half my life even though right now I'm going through a non surfing phase which is a temporary thing. It would be cool to have someone to go surfing with that's around my age but it doesn't happen. There's a women's only surf camp in Nicaragua that has an age 40+ program for a week. It's called Chica Brava surf camp. You should check it out. I'm thinking of going next year. Maybe I'll see you there. Aloha.

 
At Monday, December 07, 2009 6:53:00 AM, Anonymous Amanda said...

I love reading your blog! Way to get out there and show those boys whats up!
I have a suggestion for you :) My husband and I do "indoor surfing / bodyboarding" on a man made wave. Its a newer sport called flowriding or flowboarding (the standup version is a hybrid of surfing, wakeboarding and skateboarding). If the weather gets too cold and you have the urge to go surf, you should check it out! The closest one to you is probably Sahara Sams Oasis in Mt. Laurel, New Jersey. There are tons of videos up on youtube if you want to see what I mean :)

 
At Friday, December 11, 2009 3:32:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is rather valuable information

 
At Monday, January 04, 2010 6:45:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm 7 years into it and I still suck. Kudos to you for your improvement!

 
At Thursday, February 04, 2010 10:30:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are awesome! So great to hear of your love for the sport. I learned to surf at the age of 48, and it has been a great way for me to enjoy the sport with my husband, who's been at it since he was old enough to stand up (on anything). In answer to your question about when to pop up, here's a great piece of advice I got from another surfer in Australia: after you can feel you've caught the wave, paddle two more strokes. When I can remember to do this, it has worked really well. There will be exceptions, of course, but I've found on the whole that things work better when I do this. Give it a try!

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:35:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

longchamp handbags, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton handbags, tiffany and co, burberry outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, tory burch outlet, true religion jeans, prada handbags, nike shoes, christian louboutin shoes, kate spade outlet, coach factory outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, louboutin, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, nike free, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses cheap, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, kate spade handbags, coach purses, coach outlet store online, oakley sunglasses, coach outlet, chanel handbags, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, jordan shoes, polo ralph lauren outlet, louboutin, longchamp handbags, air max, burberry outlet, louboutin outlet, air max, gucci outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:40:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

birkin bag, north face jackets, instyler, canada goose uk, chi flat iron, canada goose, abercrombie and fitch, bottega veneta, nike roshe run, ugg boots, marc jacobs, ugg australia, insanity workout, mcm handbags, ferragamo shoes, nike huarache, canada goose, canada goose, new balance shoes, rolex watches, north face outlet, lululemon outlet, babyliss pro, mac cosmetics, p90x, ugg pas cher, soccer jerseys, wedding dresses, moncler, beats by dre, hollister, canada goose jackets, ghd, ugg boots, vans shoes, reebok outlet, mont blanc, valentino shoes, jimmy choo outlet, herve leger, soccer shoes, giuseppe zanotti, nfl jerseys, asics running shoes, ugg, moncler outlet, moncler, moncler, celine handbags, uggs outlet, canada goose outlet, longchamp

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:44:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

parajumpers, pandora charms, moncler, vans, ugg, karen millen, ray ban, louboutin, hollister clothing store, pandora charms, thomas sabo, hollister, converse, montre homme, swarovski crystal, air max, coach outlet store online, wedding dresses, ralph lauren, canada goose, swarovski, lancel, converse shoes, oakley, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, louis vuitton, baseball bats, juicy couture outlet, gucci, pandora jewelry, iphone 6 cases, hollister, timberland boots, supra shoes, links of london, ugg, moncler, air max, rolex watches, canada goose, moncler

 

Post a Comment

<< Home