Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Welcome to winter

It's been a while.

Hint: sometimes I don't post if my sessions really suck.

Note to self: Never, never go surfing when the wind is west.
Never go to the grocery store etc. before surfing thinking what's one more hour before getting in the water because conditions can't get worse. In that hour, they can and they will. The sun will go in and the wind will pick up and the waves will turn even crappier.

There have been some miserable times in the past month.

Like the day after two days of overhead surf when it was only head high and borderline manageable for me (i.e. I could have gotten in and out without getting killed, but probably wouldn't have been able to ride anything) and had enough doubts to be dissuaded by guys coming out of the water (who know me and my ability) warning me that it was tough out there.

Like another day when it wasn't really big but fierce and there were absolutely no lulls and getting out took three turtles and I just looked at it knowing it would be a huge expense of energy, getting beat up for precious little if any reward, wondering if it would really be worth it and deciding it wouldn't. Sometimes, I just don't like that beat up feeling that lasts the rest of the day after the session, especially if I have other fun things to do that require and reward my energy.

Like yesterday, when the wind blew steadily out of the worst possible direction and it was nearly impossible to discern a wave in the roiling mess of the ocean and my 5/3 suit failed to even pretend to keep me warm and I was ready to get out after only 20 minutes and I did only to see two other guys catching waves and I was so embarrassed I had to get back in getting colder than ever in the process but all that happened in the next hour was that I caught three waves and failed to ride any of them. My only satisfaction came in ultimately staying in longer than the guy who entered the water with me but that was slim satisfaction indeed. It was an hour and 39 minutes of misery, enough to make me question why I bother.

So I didn't write about any of those days.

And then there was today.

It's the coldest day of the year so far, and the earliest I have ever broken out my 6/4 winter suit.

But the sun was out, I wasn't cold at all for two hours, the wind was north, the waves were small, and I got many rides in which I am absolutely certain I popped up correctly and did it at the right time and stayed on the wave as long as it lasted.

That's why I bother.

6 Comments:

At Tuesday, November 18, 2008 11:08:00 AM, Blogger Jolea said...

Cheers to you!!! At least you got a few rides in, you are more brave than I, I don't get in the water if it's cold enough to wear a wet suit! I admire you die hard types...

 
At Tuesday, November 18, 2008 1:51:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL!! So well said, Grandma, so well said. I LOVE this blog.

 
At Monday, November 24, 2008 1:53:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOUR JUST SO GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!BEST SURFER GRAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:34:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

longchamp handbags, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton handbags, tiffany and co, burberry outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, tory burch outlet, true religion jeans, prada handbags, nike shoes, christian louboutin shoes, kate spade outlet, coach factory outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, louboutin, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, nike free, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses cheap, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, kate spade handbags, coach purses, coach outlet store online, oakley sunglasses, coach outlet, chanel handbags, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, jordan shoes, polo ralph lauren outlet, louboutin, longchamp handbags, air max, burberry outlet, louboutin outlet, air max, gucci outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:39:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

birkin bag, north face jackets, instyler, canada goose uk, chi flat iron, canada goose, abercrombie and fitch, bottega veneta, nike roshe run, ugg boots, marc jacobs, ugg australia, insanity workout, mcm handbags, ferragamo shoes, nike huarache, canada goose, canada goose, new balance shoes, rolex watches, north face outlet, lululemon outlet, babyliss pro, mac cosmetics, p90x, ugg pas cher, soccer jerseys, wedding dresses, moncler, beats by dre, hollister, canada goose jackets, ghd, ugg boots, vans shoes, reebok outlet, mont blanc, valentino shoes, jimmy choo outlet, herve leger, soccer shoes, giuseppe zanotti, nfl jerseys, asics running shoes, ugg, moncler outlet, moncler, moncler, celine handbags, uggs outlet, canada goose outlet, longchamp

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:43:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

parajumpers, pandora charms, moncler, vans, ugg, karen millen, ray ban, louboutin, hollister clothing store, pandora charms, thomas sabo, hollister, converse, montre homme, swarovski crystal, air max, coach outlet store online, wedding dresses, ralph lauren, canada goose, swarovski, lancel, converse shoes, oakley, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, louis vuitton, baseball bats, juicy couture outlet, gucci, pandora jewelry, iphone 6 cases, hollister, timberland boots, supra shoes, links of london, ugg, moncler, air max, rolex watches, canada goose, moncler

 

Post a Comment

<< Home