Tuesday, September 18, 2007

First fall session

I hate to say it, because I live for summer, but it's begun to feel more like fall already. The air is different, the light is different---it's like the world has shifted into another gear. Not to mention it's getting dark at seven p.m. And I suddenly feel like drinking red wine instead of vodka from the freezer.

I've been both looking forward to, and feeling sad about, the change. You know how your apartment feels when you've got all the windows closed for the first time in months---quiet, like something's missing? And how that feels strange for a while, and then not strange? Fall is all about the surfing, not the hanging out on the beach. I love both. I especially love them together.
It's hard to get used to just the surfing again.

But there is going to be one more weekend of summer weather, they say.

This past weekend it barely made seventy and no one was hanging out. A friend who'd promised to come out to the beach all summer finally made it to my house, only to find it was too chilly for her bikini.

Today felt like a fall session. I had my 3/2 on for the first time and I actually started to feel cold at the end of the session despite brilliant sun. The waves said fall, a notch bigger than they've been in a long time, but then failed to deliver the fun they seemed to promise. No popups happened today, I am absolutely certain. I got up using my knees and then had rides of no consequence. Additionally my timing was bad. I waited for low tide and ended up with the "after-school" crowd---teenage boys on shortboards, a bevy of them (a gaggle? a cockle? what do you call teenage boys on shortboards?) They are my absolute least favorite demographic to surf with. They don't yell at me but they don't give up any waves to old women either. And if there's one, there's a whole crowd of them sitting on the inside right in front of you.

I tried to make my way out of the crowd but it was crowded everywhere. I may hitch up my new surf rack to my bike tomorrow and try to find a saner spot. Everyone complains about summer crowds but fall can be just as bad.

4 Comments:

At Monday, September 24, 2007 2:08:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Grandma,
I've been reading your blog since I started surfing a few years ago. And I have to say your persistance was inspiring to me back in the days when i finished many a four hour session with no legit. rides. I've left you some snipits of advice recently as a beginner who is becoming more of a novice.
If you're still having trouble with a pop up it might be just conditioning. I can't imagine there is any exercise better for your problems then some basic yoga. If you've ever tried or seen one sun salutation you'll notice a move in there that's very much like a pop-up, generally though you'll improve your stamina, flexibility and balance. May be something for you to try this winter when it goes into the 20's
good luck and keep on

 
At Tuesday, October 09, 2007 5:40:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, I have found yoga to be indispensalbe with surfing. Not to mention piano playing or any other form of performance art. I broke 7 ribs in my back 13 years ago hitting a tree skiing in WVA. I went out for a surf season two months later telling myself "This is crazy I just about died from a ski accident." After the surf session I had no pain in my back. Since then I was hooked. I started swimming constantly, doing yoga, tai chi, and even went back to skiing even though those trees were saying "Come AES hit me again" Tempting psych. I also downhill skateboard, bike, hike, climb. I'm now 47 and have no intention of stopping. It only gets better.
Building a solid core is what its all about. Total body and alignment. multi-sporting definately helps surfing.
Keep going girl. I saw you nail a bunch of them at SSS. You Rock and I'm glad you're an inspiration for so many!

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:04:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

birkin bag, north face jackets, instyler, canada goose uk, chi flat iron, canada goose, abercrombie and fitch, bottega veneta, nike roshe run, ugg boots, marc jacobs, ugg australia, insanity workout, mcm handbags, ferragamo shoes, nike huarache, canada goose, canada goose, new balance shoes, rolex watches, north face outlet, lululemon outlet, babyliss pro, mac cosmetics, p90x, ugg pas cher, soccer jerseys, wedding dresses, moncler, beats by dre, hollister, canada goose jackets, ghd, ugg boots, vans shoes, reebok outlet, mont blanc, valentino shoes, jimmy choo outlet, herve leger, soccer shoes, giuseppe zanotti, nfl jerseys, asics running shoes, ugg, moncler outlet, moncler, moncler, celine handbags, uggs outlet, canada goose outlet, longchamp

 
At Monday, November 10, 2014 5:22:00 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

parajumpers, pandora charms, moncler, vans, ugg, karen millen, ray ban, louboutin, hollister clothing store, pandora charms, thomas sabo, hollister, converse, montre homme, swarovski crystal, air max, coach outlet store online, wedding dresses, ralph lauren, canada goose, swarovski, lancel, converse shoes, oakley, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, louis vuitton, baseball bats, juicy couture outlet, gucci, pandora jewelry, iphone 6 cases, hollister, timberland boots, supra shoes, links of london, ugg, moncler, air max, rolex watches, canada goose, moncler

 

Post a Comment

<< Home